Seadoo makes high pitched whining noise and has no acceleration power !!!!

Benny577567

Recruit
Hey there , looking for a little help . I have a 2010 WakePro Seadoo ( 215 hp and supercharged) and was heading across the lake when all of a sudden it came to a stop and stalled. Starts back up and the machine makes a high pitched whining sound and has no acceleration power.( also like a grinding noise ) Quickly shut it off and took it home . Looked at the impeller and everything seams fine so I hooked up a hose to it and started it . Everything sounded great , no noise at all ! I then took it down to the lake and put it into the water and the same noise is back when it's under load . Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this same issue ? Thanks !

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

I can almost guarantee you have something wedged up in the impeller area, probably around the wear ring.

alldodge

Staff member
Hey there , looking for a little help . I have a 2010 WakePro Seadoo ( 215 hp and supercharged) and was heading across the lake when all of a sudden it came to a stop and stalled. Starts back up and the machine makes a high pitched whining sound and has no acceleration power.( also like a grinding noise ) Quickly shut it off and took it home . Looked at the impeller and everything seams fine so I hooked up a hose to it and started it . Everything sounded great , no noise at all ! I then took it down to the lake and put it into the water and the same noise is back when it's under load . Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this same issue ? Thanks !

Howdy

I'm thinking your supercharger bearings have gone bad. This kind of failure happens quite often and the supercharger needs maintenance every 100 hours. If this is the case you have two options repair or remove. The repair at the dealer is about $1K, you can do it yourself for about $350. You can also remove it, plug the ports and have the computer changed. The SC models are faster but the non-SC models are near bullet proof

Thalasso

Commander
If the supercharger has gone bad like suggested hope it doesn't have the ceramic washers. They were prone to breaking and getting ingested in the engine. The upgrade washers are metal.
And yes they require attention every 100hrs or if needed sooner. That's the main reason i stayed away from anything S/C when i bought mine

Last edited:

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
where is the sound coming from? pump or engine? did you strip out the splines in the impeller it sounds like it, you may have sucked something in the pump and that stalled the engine but in the process it stripped the splines in the impeller so pull the pump off and see what you have.

Last edited:

Benny577567

Recruit
Appreciate all the responses , gonna get at it tomorrow . Will keep you updated . Thanks ! I do think the noise is coming from the pump .

Benny577567

Recruit
Well I did what I could do and found nothing . Finally took it into the dealer and they went thru it and found a piece of rubber in the super charger , they have no idea where it came from ( likely from factory ) . They said it was good to go so I picked it up and headed to the lake , dropped it into the water and it did exactly the same thing . Dropped it off again that day and they went thru it again ,they checked impeller,pump and wear ring ,all good . They then checked the super charger and said they found a loose clamp so they replaced it . Again they said it was ready to go so I tried it out yesterday and I still have noise and no acceleration . Getting very frustrated ! Dropped it off again tonight so we'll see what Tuesday brings .

alldodge

Staff member
Dealer "goes thru it twice" and stops when they find anything, geeze what a way to waste your time

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
did they ever check the drive shaft splines ? sure sounds like the problem.

Benny577567

Recruit
Finally heard back the other day and I'll need a new jet pump , shaft was seized into the pump . Won't be cheap ! 😕

alldodge

Staff member
Finally heard back the other day and I'll need a new jet pump , shaft was seized into the pump . Won't be cheap ! 😕

Sure hope third time is the charm for these guys, not that I would want you to spend the money on a pump, but a seized pump shaft should have been seen in the first inspection.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
That means you need a new driveshaft also because if the locked pump stripped the splines inside the impeller it also stripped the splines on the end of the drive shaft.
I have a difficult time believing that any half competent mechanic did not realize where the problem was as soon as he started the engine.
Also how did they NOT realize the problem was not fixed after they did the other stuff, the noise would still be there. Any other places around to take it to? REALLY I would be looking around for a better place.

Last edited:

Benny577567

Recruit
Yeah I agree with you 100% ... Not sure what the hell they were looking at when it was looked at twice before .Funny thing is when I hooked the machine to my garden hose there was absolutely no noise , not sure why ?

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
Simple because there was no load on the pump, I am not convinced the pump is locked up I am very convinced the drive shaft splines and the impeller splines are stripped. if the pump was locked up the noise would be just as bad or even louder on the hose. You need a new mechanic. or a big pile of disposable cash ,sure sounds like the mechanics are full of crap.

Jetmaniac

Recruit
I know this is a old thread but what did the problem turn out to be? I'm having the same issues with my 2010 RXT-X 260. It only has 50hrs on it. I had pretty much the exact same scenario you described from the moment it stalled. I haven't taken it to the dealer yet.