2015 Waverunner Winterizing

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Hate the thought, but I like to be prepared ahead of time. Anyone familiar with the 2015's with the new "RIDE" system?

Just paid $85 for a full shop manual and it is basically useless. It tells what to do in some cases, but doesn't explain how to do it. Worse than that it shows maintenance on the old mechanical trim system, which isn't even in use any more.

Questions are:

1. What is the intermediate housing - it needs to be lubricated?
2. Do the hadlebar grips need to be removed for lube - one or both?

jkust

Rear Admiral
Jim, I'm on my first year with my FX SHO so will be my first winterization as well. How many hours did you manage to put on the clock?....it's hour dependent and you may need to only do the basics. There's some good youtube vids out there but most are for the pre RIDE with the manual trim system aka 2014 back to 2008 which I'm betting you have checked out already. I managed to pack on 52 hours in the first season while almost never using my bowrider and the 50 hour maintenance is very minimal.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Sadly we only have about 20 hours so far. I am constantly held back by this stupid thing called "work". My boss just doesn't understand....>LOL.

Week nights are for the ski, Saturdays are for the fishing boat and Sunday with the wife in the bowrider. The problem is those free days are too often filled with rain.

I know what to do for winterizing, I've been doing boats for 50 years and skis for 20. The issue is finding the crazy zirc to lube the intermediate housing. It surely isn't in the spot shown on the pic in the service manual. You can't see anything, but I've felt around the whole area with my finger and there are no protruding nipples!

The older models had cables for the throttle and the manual trim. The manual is clear about lubing them. But the RIDE section says nothing about lube.

The pump end of the cables are the same as before.

The Rooster

Ensign
Sadly we only have about 20 hours so far. I am constantly held back by this stupid thing called "work". My boss just doesn't understand....>LOL.

Week nights are for the ski, Saturdays are for the fishing boat and Sunday with the wife in the bowrider. The problem is those free days are too often filled with rain.

I know what to do for winterizing, I've been doing boats for 50 years and skis for 20. The issue is finding the crazy zirc to lube the intermediate housing. It surely isn't in the spot shown on the pic in the service manual. You can't see anything, but I've felt around the whole area with my finger and there are no protruding nipples!

The older models had cables for the throttle and the manual trim. The manual is clear about lubing them. But the RIDE section says nothing about lube.

Jim, have you tried looking at the microfiche drawings on GreenHulk under oem parts. Under 2015 FX-HO, propulsion system - internal, it clearly shows a grease fitting for the intermediate bearing housing. Items 9& 10 I believe. Good luck !!!

P.S. - Can you please stop mentioning "protruding nipples" :eek:

Last edited:

jkust

Rear Admiral

Ha Ha, totally understand. I did a lot of 3 and 4 day weekends and some 10 day stints at our lake house and my 14 year old pretty much would live on it if I'd let him. I need to get him an older and lower powered model so he isn't always wanting to ride the SHO. Funny, it took me forever to get 180 hours on my main boat because mostly the engine is off but if you are on the waverunner...the engine is running and the clock is ticking. I second Green Hulk.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
The fitting is now directly on the bearing housing don't over grease it you will separate the rubber mount from the metal case.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
OK, I found it thanks to the Green Hulk Microfiche. Its under the electrical panel and I guess I would have never thought to poke my hand under there. Thanks to all who made the suggestion.

Now, for amount of grease....

I read somewwhere else that they come dry from the factory and need to have 32 oz. added the first time. Sounds like a folly to me!
Jeff, how many oz. do you recommend? How can you tell if its full? Its not like a bearing buddy or an auto front end ball joint that are visual...