Spark Or VX?

JetSeaRunner

Recruit
Hi all, just joined and wanted to ask a question. I have ridden PWCs many times but have never had one of my own and am looking to possibly change that. As far as personal needs go, I just want something cheap and reliable that can hit at least 50mph or close to it. I would not be using it all that heavily. Towing would be nice but not essential. I would be riding mostly in freshwater and never in the open ocean. I would probably have a passenger sometimes, but not often. I have virtually no interest in a two-stroke model.

At this point the frontrunners are either a 2-up 90hp Spark or a used VX. Here's what I'm thinking about each one:

Spark: light weight & tossable, new/warranty available/no previous history to worry about, but would require financing on my part, might be a little small

VX: cheap, great reputation for reliability, but heavier/less playful, possible maintenance issues.

I have seen used VXs for as low as 3k but am not sure how reliable they would be. Basically the Spark's advantages are its weight and the ability to get a brand new ski for a low price. The VX would be cheape, bigger, and a little faster, but maybe not quite as fun for what I would use it for.

My biggest question marks right now are maintenance and ownership costs. Assuming its been well-maintained, is a used VX a safe bet to be reliable regardless of hours? How would it compare to a Spark? Overall, which would you prefer and why?

Also, is there a particular time of year when I might be able to get a good deal?

Thanks for any and all help you can provide!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

Moved this to your own thread. Better than posting and being buried in an inactive thread.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
Based on your usage needs there is really only one answer, the vx it will allow you to tow and take passengers, it is very stable and reliable, if you want to play and drive circles around other skies just let me know I have ways to do that. Also if you damage a spark hull you need to replace it plus access to the motor on a spark is a real drag.

JetSeaRunner

Recruit
Based on your usage needs there is really only one answer, the vx it will allow you to tow and take passengers, it is very stable and reliable, if you want to play and drive circles around other skies just let me know I have ways to do that. Also if you damage a spark hull you need to replace it plus access to the motor on a spark is a real drag.

Thanks for your advice!

One thought that just crossed my mind; is there a minimum amount you would pay for a used VX to to be sure it was in good shape? I've seen VXs with 600ish hours for sale for as low as 3k but am assuming they saw serious rental duty. Would those be skis to avoid?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
The base spark may be cheap, but once you upgrade to a half way decent model it ain't so cheap any more. After riding one myself, I can say I would get bored with it in hurry.

The VX is a fine machine and much easier to service than any Doo. If I could get used one cheap, I would pass it up anyway, and keep saving until I could afford a 15. The new RIDE system is awesome.

If you must have one now keep looking for an adult owned garage kept one. They are out there. You could have had mine this Spring for $3000 It had low hours and better than mint. Just sold it to get the RIDE...

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
My experience with Yamaha 4 stroke engines is that you can expect 1000 hours or more with little issues if you do your routine maintenance. That is why most places rent them !

jkust

Rear Admiral
My large lake is just loaded with PWC's and as I am on my very first year with my very first PWC, I take notice of what is out there. I am actually surprised at how many Sparks I have seen on the lake this summer. Mostly young girls and boys driving them but they are still having a lot of fun on them. They tow and ride three up. I see a good number of the lower end Yamaha's such as the VX as well. If it were me in your shoes, I'd opt for the Yamaha where you can more comfortably ride with three up even at the expense of a less playful hull. The Spark has limited engine access among its many things that allow a company to offer such an inexpensive PWC in this day and age. Just a word about power....I've got about 66 hours of use on my FX SHO that I put on this summer...again having zero experience with PWC's and I am almost ready for something faster with more power. It took one season to get to this point where at the beginning of it I was in absolute awe at the enormous power/acceleration and top speed of the FX SHO. I cannot imagine how much I'd be longing for more power had I opted for a Spark or a VX.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
everyone is different I have had many supercharged skies and I put hundreds of hours a year on mine, I will never buy another supercharged ski, and I find that 180 hp is plenty for my needs. So to each their own but the answer for him sure appears to be a vx .