Nylon Rope Got Sucked In

NoviceBoat

Cadet
I am completely new at this jet drive thing. Boat this 1995 Sea Rayder with 120 motor. First time pulling my daughter on a Balloon. When we came to rest awe didn't pay attention and the nylon rope got sucked into the boat's bottom thing and just shut the engine down. Please see the pictures. That was the end of our day. Never tried to restart at all. Lifeguard towed us up. As I got home I noticed that the rope was wrapping around that metal that caused the engine to stop. Try cutting it but very difficult. Don't know how much rope is inside. I have no idea what to do now. Should I remove the whole black plate at the bottom first? If so, what precaution should I do? Or should I just get it to a boat mechanic.

Also I noticed that Red plastic thing sticking out at the bottom. What is that? Is it normal? Should I twist it in or tap it in so that its flush all the way?

Please please please help!!!!!
Completely lost here. Thank you so much in advance.

Sean C.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-2.jpg
    FullSizeRender-2.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 3
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 2
  • FullSizeRender-3.jpg
    FullSizeRender-3.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 2
  • FullSizeRender-5.jpg
    FullSizeRender-5.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 2
  • FullSizeRender-4.jpg
    FullSizeRender-4.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 2

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:welcome: aboard NoviceBoat. Nice having you aboard...

I can't say for certain because I am not familiar with your jet boat, but in the first and second picture you posted, it looks like a casing is broken and a shaft bearing surface is exposed. I could be wrong, but it looks more serious then just removing the rope to me... Others will chime in with their assessment I'm sure. And they will have a better idea what's wrong... JMHO! :sorry:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome to iboats.

The red thing appears to be a drain plug. I don't recall ever seeing a plastic one before. Don't twist it or tap it. Lift the tab to remove the plug to drain ant water that may be in the hull. Don't ever launch without the plug installed.

I'll let some familiar with Sport Jets tell you how to get the rope out.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
It was smart not to try to run the engine with the rope in the driveshaft, if you can't pull it out you will need to remove the spark plugs and turn the flywheel backward to unwind the rope off the drive shaft, after you get some slack in it you should be able to cut the rest out a lot easier, inspect the hull in the tunnel for cracks in the fiberglass as the rope can actually break your hull as it builds around the drive shaft. also check for damage to any hull fitting where the shaft exits the hull .
Replace the rope with a white rope that floats so you can see it in the water and it has less tendency to get under the boat. I buy them at home depo.

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

Sure got that twisted up in there. I would remove the intake gate so you can get at it. Once off uses Jeff's process if you are unable to cut it off. Note the condition of the shaft and seals. When you put it back in the water the first time watch inside to see if you have a leak before going for another run

fetch

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Its likely you have a bent drive shaft. Pull the impeller and shaft and have it checked for balance. If you do and its OK you wasted a few bucks. If you don't and its not OK, the likely consequence is vibrating the manifold loose and sinking the boat.

NoviceBoat

Cadet
Thank you so much everybody for the help. Anybody knows how much it costs to have it checked out? This boat was running perfect with no issues until this. Now I possibly have a bent shaft? Wow sounds expensive? Don't know what to do?

alldodge

Staff member
The going rate of shops is around 100 per hour. probably cost 2 to 300 to get it checked out

As you can see there are differing opinions on what to do, and appears you are leaning toward the dealer inspection route.

My opinion, your sucked up a poly rope, which is plastic and can bend things given enough torque. My guess is you were not going that many rpm. I would look at the prop and see if something looks bent. You can also measure your wear ring gap (.004 to .040). If the shaft is bent it will be closer to the wear ring in one area. As before if it was mine I would do a quick visual, then fire it up. If the shaft or prop is bent you will feel the vibration. Check for leaks and if all is good go boating

Your boat your decission

gm280

Supreme Mariner
With a #11 exacto knife and a good needle-nose pliers, you could slowly cut the rope out of there and see what it looks like after wards. JMHO!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Someone threw a piece of rope in the water and it was submerged and not visible. As luck would have it I found it! Got is off just like everybody here suggested. The inspection looked OK and it ran fine. But it was a 2 cyl 2 stroke so it really didn't run that smooth anyway. The first time the bolts broke and it sank, we had a dealer pull the shaft and he proclaimed it to be good. The second time it sank we replaced the shaft. After that the bolts never came loose again. Nevertheless, even though both times we drained the block forthwith and ran it well, the 2 sinkings eventually lead to the demise of the engine.

Hence my reason for erring on the side of caution.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
Anything is possible, but if it runs ok it isn't broke so don't fix it. SOME dealers would tell you it is bad just to do the job or maybe just say they did. JUST MY 2 cents.

NoviceBoat

Cadet
Hi again all boaters. Hope you can forgive me. I had to leave town for awhile and never able to complete this. Sorry to dig up old wounds. As I tried to remove the grill at the bottom so I can try to cut the rope more easily, I hit a surprise and stopped immediately. while unscrewing one of the screw there's oil coming out of the hole where the screw is. What is it? Is this normal to have oil coming out of the screw hole like that? What's going in here?

Minden Tahoe

Recruit
I have had that happen to me, when we got it home, I removed the spark plugs and pulled on the rope, it was hard to pull, but it came off, because you were not going that fast, or someone would have been thrown in the water, it should come off, I ran the motor after checking to make sure everything was put back together, Like others have said, make sure you don't see any holes or cracks on the bottom, before you place it back in the water, do a test run at slow speed, close to shore, then run it faster, if it feels good, then up the speed, but stay close to the shore or dock, for a few....Good Luck