The-Hoss Sport Jet Xr120 "No Spark" .....somewhat resolved, need to talk it out

the-hoss

Cadet
The-Hoss Sport Jet Xr120 "No Spark" .....somewhat resolved, need to talk it out

Attn. KEND301...

Thanks you for your very valuable info on how to troubleshoot, & Basics on Sport Jet applications. I have a 96 F-14 Searayder w/Xr120 sport jet Engine.................. (a kijiji special,.....that's Candian version of Craigslist....lol)
Second thing I checked was the Black/Yellow wire to the coil packs, after disconnecting, then cranking engine, I now have spark across all four cylinders again, its faint, but its there, I contribute the faint spark to my spark tester, none the less I now have spark.
So, further to your instructions I am to now check the Ignition switch, kill switch & or the Shift control. I opened up the key switch & kill switch & see that the Black/yellow run to the kill switch. Is there a Ohm reading for the kill switch, & Can I safely assume that it is the kill switch??

Look forward to any & all feed back,

Attachments

• photo227353.jpg
    photo227353.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo227355.jpg
    photo227355.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 0

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
try running extra ground wires to the coils and ignition module Most times you either have spark or you don't I assume the flywheel magnets were inspected and are all ok

the-hoss

Cadet
So, If I run a ground wire directly from the battery to the coil packs, would that be sufficient?
& I haven't had the Flywheel off yet, But do know that the stator has been replace a few years back after looking through the service records. & it isd the Red stator.

the-hoss

Cadet
I got this boat last September on a Barter, & I knew it had spark issues, But after looking through the service records, I feel it must be something easy...
- Stator replaced
- Starter replaced
- Carbs replaced
- Inline fuel filter installed, & Fuel tank flushed
- Shift lever Morse MV-2 (repaired or replaced, that one is vague)

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
You can just run some wire to the grounds and to the battery to see if it is a bad ground. I don't see the rectifier being replaced, those are the reason all hell breaks loose in the field windings and brains get fried when they go bad I learned years ago to add a relay to the red wire off the rectifier and after I found a jet ski voltage regulator replacing the rectifier works great on outboard engines that used the old electrolytic capacitor rectifiers like those do. And using the regulator keeps from overcharging the battery making them last longer. They have 3 yellow field winding wires and a red positive wire to the battery with a base ground just exactly like the outboard engines and the 2 amp per field winding is the same value. You followed all that didn't you?

the-hoss

Cadet
LoL.....Ya, I get the jist, Som eof the Seadoo's had a 5 amp fuse in the MPEM, is what your saying along the same lines?