95 sea rayder f16 pulling and hard to plan out

river08

Cadet
Just acquired this f16 sea ray it is pulling hard to left and slow to plane out tops out at round 22 mph stee cable is new and gate over jet it's clearing fine visual expectation of ride plate looks good when throttling down hard from wot it does a hard left turn even if you kill power to engine it does the same little confused on this one and help out there??

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Just acquired this f16 sea ray it is pulling hard to left and slow to plane out tops out at round 22 mph stee cable is new and gate over jet it's clearing fine visual expectation of ride plate looks good when throttling down hard from wot it does a hard left turn even if you kill power to engine it does the same little confused on this one and help out there??

Howdy

While not an expert with your machine, most will do a turn if the engine dies to keep the boat from getting further away from you if you fell over board. As for the slow to plane, check your wear ring gap. The wear ring is around the prop and as the ring wears away there is less force being produced by the engine. May just need it replaced

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
sounds like cavitation from the pump could be the wear ring or impeller or pump bearings or hopefully just trash in the pump and that is easy to remedy look in the impeller if any junk is in it you need to clean it out even a small piece of stick or fishing line will cause severe cavitation and never hit the gas in shallow water you are driving a boat with a huge vacuum cleaner attached to the bottom sucking everything it passes over right into the pump

alldodge

Staff member
What is the proper gap on wear ring

If memory serves me it's should be between .004 and .040, now .040 its worn out. Jeff correct me if I'm in error. Also as Jeff mentioned you should check your bearings for play and also drain and check pump oil. Takes about 3 oz to refill