Missing Prop and gears

Boatmanswife

Cadet
Would it be possible for my prop, spline, lock nut etc (all the prop components) to come off without human intervention. The prop was on my 40 HP when we launched for the first time this year.As soon as I started the motor the boat wouldn't move because (I soon discovered) my prop and related components were missing. My buddy is quite sure the prop was on the engine when we launched, it must have come off when I put the transmission in gear. Could something have happened over the winter to cause this or would someone have to losen/remove parts? I have my suspicion but don't want to pursue the issue if it might haven just come off by accident.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Was any work done on the lower unit over the winter?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Depending upon the engine--Yes, it can happen in reverse but unless something is left out or installed incorrectly it is highly unlikely. It sounds like it happened at the launch. Were you able to find the gear, prop, and prop shaft? If not, it may be more economically feasible to buy a whole used lower unit.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
when we launched for the first time this year.

Ayuh,..... Did ya drain, 'n refill the lower unit with oil last fall,..??..??

My WAGuess is,.... ya Didn't,.....

The Water in the lower unit froze, 'n busted the case, which allowed the guts to unload to the lake bottom, when ya put it in reverse,.....

The Prop literally pulled it apart,....