Propeller Comparison

reiddo1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If an engine with a prop 14.5 by 19 pitch at wot gives 4900 rpm, what should I expect if I replace that prop with a 15 by 15 pitch? All replies are appreciated.

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Should expect a superb hole shot to Mars with you alone and lightly loaded boat but crappy top speed. What are you trying to acomplish ? Would like to dial max wot rpm range for that engine ? If boat is overloaded expect to lower max rpm than with you alone and be around or inside safe wot range with a 15 pitch. As this is not rocket science must sea trial props.

Engine HP and boast size is needed too.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
By my precise calculations, you will rev up to around 5700 RPM. That may cause engine damage, depending on what engine we are talking about . . .

Maclin

Admiral
Yeah, I had my I/O goggles on. That may be ok for a 2stroke outboard. Whatta ya workin' on?

walleyehed

Admiral
14.5X19 is just numbers-need design too. If 19 is alum and you went to a better design SS in 15, you might only gain 150-200rpm. Now, beings most SS aren't 15" dia., you'll see a large gain in rpm and likely a modest drop in speed.

inthedirtagain

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm not so sure. I have a beat up 12.5x17p 3-blade on my outboard. When fully loaded, I'm 3-400 rpm shy of the top of my rpm range of 5300. So, after conversing with the local shop (where I buy most of my marine gear), I picked up a 3-blade 13.25 x 16p. The new prop is much more efficient at grabbing the water, but it lowered my WOT by 800 rpm when fully loaded. Yesterday, I put my old prop back on and took the family out for an afternoon of skiing and kneeboarding. I was right back where I began (still 3-400 shy of my target).

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Need to dial a prop that gives near to full max wot rpm for than engine while boating with family. You should have more than one prop, say a family oriented and a different one to pull skiers, flotable toys with lightly loaded boat. Can't do all those fun things with just one prop, unless it's an easy to adjust adjustable pitch prop.

Happy Boating

reiddo1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Need to dial a prop that gives near to full max wot rpm for than engine while boating with family. You should have more than one prop, say a family oriented and a different one to pull skiers, flotable toys with lightly loaded boat. Can't do all those fun things with just one prop, unless it's an easy to adjust adjustable pitch prop.

Happy Boating
My engine is a model year 2000 150 hp Johnson Oceanpro mounted on a Glastron Sea Fury v216. The prop is currently a stainless steel 14.5 by 19 pitch. Hole shot is superb but rpm at wot is 4900 and a GPS speed of 59 km per hour with best trim, optimum engine height and lightly loaded with just me (230 lbs) 25 gallons fuel, and a 70 lbs kicker. OMC says the rpm at wot should be between 4500 and 5500 rpm. Am I too low at 4900 rpm?

tpenfield

Staff member
My engine is a model year 2000 150 hp Johnson Oceanpro mounted on a Glastron Sea Fury v216. The prop is currently a stainless steel 14.5 by 19 pitch. Hole shot is superb but rpm at wot is 4900 and a GPS speed of 59 km per hour with best trim, optimum engine height and lightly loaded with just me (230 lbs) 25 gallons fuel, and a 70 lbs kicker. OMC says the rpm at wot should be between 4500 and 5500 rpm. Am I too low at 4900 rpm?

No, you are near the middle of the range. . . . So, probably not a big need for adjustment . . . maybe go down 1 increment in pitch (17 or 18) and that will put you in the higher end of the range.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Yep, right in middle. Ideal would be achieving around max 5500 wot rpm with stated load, the issue about dropping 1-2 pitch in size is that you won't know for sure how much rpm will be gained with just 1 less pitch reduction. The rule of thumb that states 150-200 + revs probably does not apply. Real world testing shows to be imprecise and tricky to dial.

We have seen while testing 1 less pitch reduction that on very light applications achieves at wot 500/600 + rpm, on medium light applications 300/400 + rpm, on heavy ones should produce 150/200 + revs. Will need to determine up to which weight is considered light, medium light and heavy. If you go straight for 1 less pitch, probably will hit middle 4900-5500 rpm ? If dropping 2 less pitch probably will over rev ? both cond are wild guesses. Theory dialing doesn't work and could be expensive. A water trial test is mandatory, roll the dice and start with an 18 pitch if available.

Personally preffer over revving, if boating solo while lightly loaded just watch tach closely and reduce throttle to max 5500 rpm. OTOH will benefit carrying more load with better hole shot and reduced throttle than with current prop, but with less top end speed.

Happy Boating