Motor Height Suggestions

bayhawk186

Recruit
I have a bay hawk 186 that I just re powered with a 115 Mercury EFI 4 stroke. I'm running a 3 blade S/S 18p an have a 22p. Both only give me 25 mph max at 5500. With the tunnel I'm looking for suggestions on motor height?

QC

Supreme Mariner
Welcome aboard bayhawk!! I moved this to a new thread all your own. That other thread was over 7 years old, and your issues need to be discussed all by themselves. Lets see who comes along to help, and maybe you could elaborate a little bit more about what you are actually looking for. I'd like to know where you are getting your speed numbers. Odd to me that an 18 and 22 prop would perform the same. The more info you can supply the better.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Is the speed by gps? It appears you have some extremely high slip numbers.
A 4 or 5 blade prop may help.I'd hate to see what it costs if you wreck a 5 blade.
Perhaps a power jack plate would help.

bayhawk186

Recruit
Welcome aboard bayhawk!! I moved this to a new thread all your own. That other thread was over 7 years old, and your issues need to be discussed all by themselves. Lets see who comes along to help, and maybe you could elaborate a little bit more about what you are actually looking for. I'd like to know where you are getting your speed numbers. Odd to me that an 18 and 22 prop would perform the same. The more info you can supply the better.

Appreciate the recent input. Speeds referenced are gps. The 18p would over speed (6000+rpm) at 25mph. The 22p would max at 25mph (5500 rpm).
I just purchased a 6" jackplate. We'll see what that does. I think the motor is sitting too low for the tunnel hull. The jackplate is adjustable. Any input on a small tunnel and prop position? . It's my first.

QC

Supreme Mariner
Is that really a "tunnel"? I looked for some pics, looks more like a really flat bass type hull with a pad?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Post a good angled picture of your middle to lower leg portion. AV plate and lower transom must be visible. Want to check something for a nice suggestion that dials sweet engine/transom height under trial and error, much better having an adjustable jackplate.

Happy Boating

QC

Supreme Mariner
Well that certainly is a tunnel. Need someone else to step in. Vee don't know 'bout 'dat!

bayhawk186

Recruit
I bought a Jack plate (not yet installed). I looking forward to seeing performance with the motor lifted.I believe that's the issue.
We'll see!

pappy3

Seaman
I don't know about a tunnel but on a v it should be just under water line, at least that is what I found! If you go higher you get prop blow out !
Get someone to drive your boat on plane and you get in another boat to follow him and note where your waterline is and go just under a couple of inches! good luck

Last edited:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
I have a 50 HP engine on a 10 foot tunnel hull. The anti-ventilation plate is just about even with the top of the tunnel. HOWEVER--Disclaimer-- My tunnel hull is so small that even on plane the hull sits deep in the water. Thus I do not have water pick-up problems.

Now, jacking your engine up will definitely increase speed but if you go too high you may need to install a remote pick-up or block off the top intake holes so she doesn't suck air. Also understand that you may need a different prop when running that close to the surface.. I would definitely check out the tachometer to be certain it is accurate.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
That is not much speed for your boat. Is the hull plowing water? Can you trim the engine and lift the bow? Put a straight edge on each hull and see if she has a "hook".

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Slip with the 18" prop is 50%,@ 6100 ,the 22 is 54% your lack of speed seems to indicate the slip is correct .
Mount the jack plate so you can raise or lower the motor. Normal slip is around 12%.
Does the boat respond to up trim?Is the bottom clean and smooth?No bulges or hollows?
Does it handle oddly?Perhaps like the bow is steering?

WIMUSKY

Staff member
What's the max hp rating for that hull? 115 seems a little light for an 18'. Then add the fact it's a 4 stroke........

bayhawk186

Recruit
The hull is clean and smooth. Once on plane I can up trim to get my previous numbers speed and rpm's. As I mentioned, both the 19p / Alum (6000RPM) and 22p Stainless (5600 rpm) give me the same speed of 26 mph. I dont want to push the motor past 6000. I still have not installed the jack plate (holiday weekend). Hopefull I can later this week pending work. I think coming up 2-3 inches and out 6" will greatly assist. The tunnel is only about 36" long.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Been fine tuning engine/transoms heights for different engine brands and different hull boats. That's shallow, medium deep and deep V hulls with fantastic results. Haven't done so on a tunnel hull boat, but if you want to follow these suggestions to put where you want to be and before engine jack plate is installed, do the following :

-Float boat and trim engine to be at 90? deg with respect to water level if it's a manual trim engine.
-Sit a mate up front to better balance combo.
-Go for a wot spin on flat no wind water cond with engine trimmed at 90 deg if counting with hydraulic trim.
-Once on plane at a straight water course, check if mate can pull head out transom and check at which lower leg height is water flow passing by ?
- If impossible doing so due to boat imbalance, have a boater ride side to rear of engine to check that cond. Mercury 2.JPG

-Need to dial an ideal engine height for water flow (red line) to skim right under small upper water deflector plate 1
-If water flow passes above small water deflector plate 1 will achieve water splashes over or out transom.
-Will need to raise engine till splashes disappears.
-Check if you can meet that condition by just sitting engine on transom or playing with different hole heights.
-If possible, don't need a jack plate, engine will work spotless.
-If jack plate is a must install, proceed as suggested above.
-Once sweet engine/transom height is dialed you should achieve a flat middle wake rear of engine
-Can go for a prop maximization from there if in need.

Note: Test under trial and error at different engine heights till opt height is matched, must not move trim out of 90 deg while on plane if counting with a hydraulic trim. Post results, fingers crossed.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Current 115 HP should be sufficient if not, a prop maximization will be mandatory. Opt engine height + prop maximization is the way to go to get the most out of under powered boats, that's while remaining light to medium light loaded.

Happy Boating

Last edited: