Difference in prop brands?

Sherminator

Petty Officer 3rd Class
05 Rinker 212 5.0 MPI alpha
I tried a 23p Stilletto prop, I was able to achieve 52 mph at 3900 rpms... I know it was way over propped. next i tried a 21p solas prop, i was able to achieve 56 mph at 4400 rpms, felt more snappy too. I noticed with the solas prop felt like the boat didnt ride as high out of the water compared to the stilletto prop.. is this just in my head? Can a prop give a boat more lift at speed?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Different prop brands are said to be bow lifters or stern lifters. How much lift they provide is a question to me. I know that some props hold the water better than others, allowing for more trim and potentially greater top speed.

A Stilleto is a high-performance prop. You might do some research and see if it claims to lift, and what it lifts. The Solas is a standard prop.

tpenfield

Staff member
As stated, various props have various intended characteristics. So, it is good to know what you are buying in a prop. I think some folks go 'overboard' trying and comparing different props . . .it is best to just get something that matches the boat and engine and enjoy the boat IMO.

It sounds like the 21P is more suited to your boat than the 23P.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
The Stiletto is a more aggressive prop,
would tend to load the motor more than the Solas and is also too much pitch for your application.
In a 21 it might be faster than the Solas.

Sherminator

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am having a bugger of a time trying to find a stiletto 21p rh. Prop.. Is there anything comparable? Maybe some thing in a mercury brand?