The prop I need doesn't exist

oldslowandugly

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1993 Evinrude 48spl mounted on a 1985 Whaler 15 foot Sport. The current 17" pitch aluminum prop only revs to 5000 rpm, putting it squarely in the middle of the 4500-5500 operating range. I have a 15" pitch SS prop that easily over revs to 6100 rpm, kicking in the rev limiter. Not good. You would assume that a 16" pitch prop would be the ticket, but no one makes one. I am pretty happy with the 17" prop, it has a much higher top speed than the 15", but of course if I add weight it would labor. The 15" can pull a barge, but sacrifices too much top end speed. I had this same problem with a 35hp but SOLAS offered the in-between prop I needed and I love it. I am convinced a 16" pitch would be perfect, but what to do? Would cupping make a difference?

Last edited:

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
A good prop shop should be able to take a 17 pitch down to a 16,......

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

No doubt. Have had it done. One inch change is peanuts for them. However, if your SS is cupped, that should act like a 16 at WOT. Is it? If not and you did ask the question, have them cup it and leave the pitch alone. If their cupping doesn't suit you then have them either increase it or tweak the pitch. Cupping is kind of funny as there are limits obviously so you can only do so much. Besides cupping will improve your holding ability in high trim/rough water situations. The other benefit of cupping vs blade slope change is that you get the benefit of the 15" in your hole shot which gives you the better shot and you get the best of both worlds.

oldslowandugly

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So as I understand it, cupping makes a prop act bigger? If so then the best way would be to have the 15" cupped or the pitch adjusted up to 16". That would be easiest since the 15" is stainless steel and more malleable? It does not look to be cupped, it is an OEM SS. The 17 is aluminum and a little crusty, and I know aluminum doesn't like to bend. I have no idea of the top speed, but it is pretty fast, and the 15" makes you feel like you need to upshift, but can't. I had this motor on an 18 foot Lund aluminum boat and the difference was not so acute. This little Whaler has such an efficient bottom the difference is glaring.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Actually aluminum bends easily, and flexes when running. If your desire is to get something in between, a 15p 4-blade mat be what you are looking for

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
The Turning point Hustler is a really aggressive prop and a 15 may test like a 16.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
So as I understand it, cupping makes a prop act bigger? If so then the best way would be to have the 15" cupped or the pitch adjusted up to 16". That would be easiest since the 15" is stainless steel and more malleable? It does not look to be cupped, it is an OEM SS. The 17 is aluminum and a little crusty, and I know aluminum doesn't like to bend. I have no idea of the top speed, but it is pretty fast, and the 15" makes you feel like you need to upshift, but can't. I had this motor on an 18 foot Lund aluminum boat and the difference was not so acute. This little Whaler has such an efficient bottom the difference is glaring.

Doesn't make it bigger, makes the blades grip the water better and doing so acts like calculated 1" more pitch besides eliminating some ventilation issues as I mentioned at wot.

If you are talking about the OMC SST (Stainless Steel, Teflon coated) prop of the day then it is already cupped. I bought one when they first came out. I'd tear up my alum on every outing. After the SST, never had my prop off again.

On Steelspike's recommendation on a Turning Point brand, Hustler, it is aluminum but other than material type, is designed and marketed as having the features of a SS high performance prop. I have one and it is aggressive as he said and it cost me $100. It is cupped, high rake for good bow lift (reduces drag and allows the boat to go faster at most trim settings, and is made from a special alloy alum. that is said to be tougher than the norm. Only thing I found different was that the blades were thicker than my Ballistic SS props and that makes a slight improvement in mph vs rpm.

I just did your homework for you. Go to the top of this page and click on "Boat Parts & Accessories". Select props and input your vitals. Once it answers the "Select a Prop" Question scroll down the page and it has a listing of from 9 to 17" pitch for that engine. Select 15" and the first item is the Hustler, prop number 21311510 with hub.....don't forget the hub, for $90. You can't beat that with any rework at a prop shop. Over on the right under the price, click on the more info box and scroll through that. It tells you about the special alum process, the high rake and the fact that it is cupped. As Spike said, that is where I'd put my money. As I said, high rake design lifts the hull out of the water and what you can get from that, at the right trim setting, is less drag which will allow the engine rpms to increase and as a result more mph...which the cupping is already helping you to obtain.

One thing you need expect: The prop is ported.....specifications said so and mine was. Ported props have holes drilled under the leading edge of each blade whose purpose is to reduce the density of the water across the blade in the "hole shot" (getting on plane) which allows the engine to rev slightly (500-1000 rpm) allowing your horsepower to develop early and spin the prop shaft harder and faster, result of which gets you out of the hole faster.

In running this Hustler prop, on your hole shot, firewall the throttle from idle. The engine will rev more than you are used to but that's what it is designed to do. You will get on plane faster and once on plane, as you get up to speed, the engine rpms will drop (back to more normal somewhat) and when they do the boat will speed up that much more. If you have your trim set for a slight bow high attitude, you will be amazed at what your rig can do.

Personally, I'd trim it out till it starts porpoising at your current speed for max mph. If you slow down, expect it to porpoise and curing that is nothing more than tucking your trim in till it stops. If you don't have trim, you will just have to experiment with your tilt pin till you get the sweet spot of performance where you want it since porpoising has to be dealt with if you are looking at maxing your mph. No doubt you won't get the kind of performance your rig is capable of producing, but I'm going to bet you that there will be a significant difference in performance.

If you get confused, ask!

Good luck,
Mark

oldslowandugly

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thank's guys, especially you Mark. You really broke it down for me. (Hey, my name's Mark too!) You are right, the prop # is 390850, so it is an SST. As for trim, this motor has that crummy tilt assist which I replaced already but is acting up again. I am on the middle hole of 3 because the rear hole caused bad porpoising. I considered a 4 blade but I asked that question last year I think and the opinions were that they were really for heavy boats that are struggling to plane. I have no trouble planing at all, so it looks like the high rake Hustler should be the best bet. So let me read through the prop selector you mentioned and see what they say. Thank's again!

oldslowandugly

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hmmm, the Stiletto Triad2 #22316 is 11 3/4" x 16", but unavailable. Rats. So 4 blades is also worth 1" pitch. Hey, a Powertech prop is available with 11.25 X 16'! That looks promising. Man, my head hurts, but I am learning.

Last edited:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Don't get tangled up and forget your main objective. Easy to do! 4 blades are for pushing. You said your hole shot was fine. Said nothing about jerking around water toys and needing thrust. You wanted more speed and upping your rpm. 4 is the wrong direction!

oldslowandugly

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Mark, the more read the more confused I get. 4 blade is not for me. So, what would be better, getting a high rake, or high cupped 15" prop to act like a 16",or get a 16" prop that should place my rpm's where they need to be. What I read about the high rake/cupped props was that they were for really fast boats, worked best when the cavitation plate/prop was raised, and the hull was lifted high out of the water. Like you said, basics. My boat is a dead stock fishing platform. I just want to get the rpm's up to 5500 so I don't risk lugging the motor. I stumbled on the Powertech site by accident, but they offer a USA made 16" SS prop at a reasonable price. Do you have any experience with them? And I wonder why all the major prop makers offer props in 1" pitch increments and then skip over 16"?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Mark, the more read the more confused I get. 4 blade is not for me. So, what would be better, getting a high rake, or high cupped 15" prop to act like a 16",or get a 16" prop that should place my rpm's where they need to be. What I read about the high rake/cupped props was that they were for really fast boats, worked best when the cavitation plate/prop was raised, and the hull was lifted high out of the water. Like you said, basics. My boat is a dead stock fishing platform. I just want to get the rpm's up to 5500 so I don't risk lugging the motor. I stumbled on the Powertech site by accident, but they offer a USA made 16" SS prop at a reasonable price. Do you have any experience with them? And I wonder why all the major prop makers offer props in 1" pitch increments and then skip over 16"?

I guess they needed to pick odd or even and chose odd.

I know not about the Powertech but I did google their site and seems they are a pretty high tech mfgr. If they offer a 16 that has most of the amenities of your current 17, yes you would be better off as the more things you change in the design, the more opportunity you have for performance errors.

Keep us posted as to how this turned out for you. Good luck,
Mark

oldslowandugly

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I contacted PowerTech and posed the same question I did here and I will let you know what they say. I read that their props act like one pitch size bigger than competitors, so it will be interesting to see what they recommend for my boat/motor rpm problem. The prop I am considering has 20 ? of rake, 11.25" x 16" pitch. But if it is going to act like a 17" I am back where I started. Stay tuned.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I contacted PowerTech and posed the same question I did here and I will let you know what they say. I read that their props act like one pitch size bigger than competitors, so it will be interesting to see what they recommend for my boat/motor rpm problem. The prop I am considering has 20 ? of rake, 11.25" x 16" pitch. But if it is going to act like a 17" I am back where I started. Stay tuned.

The rake is a bending of the blades backwards from the root....point where the blade is attached to the barrel. Think of rake as a water pipe and the more you have the longer the pipe. Think about the attitude of the boat on the water on plane. Regular performing boats have most of the hull in the water and the water against the hull causes drag which eats up HP and speed. If you can get your speed up fast enough and thrust angle correct, you can lift a good part of the hull up and out of the water. The angle of the pipe vs angle of the hull determines the angle the boat will ride when on plane. The longer the pipe the more the control.

To really understand what it does for you an operating trim is required. The trim can vary the relationship of the pipe to the hull and make the hull "plow" if trimmed down too far where steering is sluggish, boat may veer off course to the other extreme where the bow lifts up over the water and to extreme boat will start to porpoise.

For what you have indicated to me thus far, you just want to protect your engine and fish. You don't want all this fancy stuff and since you don't have trim, it wouldn't do you that much good anyway.

I'm really sorry to hear that the intended prop has rake. Go to the top of the page and select Boat Accessories again and then props. When the prop page appears, scroll down to where the Solas black alum prop is listed, the first of the list. Look closely at how the blades are molded straight out from the root of the prop. That's a non rake prop shown.

Scan all the way down to the Suzuki entry which is a SS high performance prop with some pretty good degree of rake.....25 degrees roughly. Note how the blade is bent back from the root and extends behind it. This is how the "water pipe" is formed.

Tell you what. Take your 17 to a prop shop and have them take 1" of pitch out of it and nothing else. I think that will be your best bet and you probably will be more satisfied with the results. That way you haven't spent a lot of money and haven't thrown a lot of wrenches into the works that can and will change the outcome.

Good luck....again,
Mark

oldslowandugly

Petty Officer 3rd Class
"Tell you what. Take your 17 to a prop shop and have them take 1" of pitch out of it and nothing else."- Starting to sound like the way to go. PowerTech was not very helpful, did not answer my question. They did however say I could exchange the prop for a different one as long as it was not damaged at all. Let me ask you something else. The OMC 390850 is an SST, so it is cupped right? Looking at the blades they appear to be concave, so the cupping would be across the pitch lines so it should act 1" bigger, right? But it doesn't, and there also appears to be some rake to the blades, not a lot, but some, in fact a quick check with a protractor shows about 20?. I read that rake makes the prop act like it has a larger diameter with more blade area, which would give more thrust. By my reasoning this 15" SST prop should be performing closer to the 17" or at least like a 16" ,just as you indicated in your first reply " However, if your SS is cupped, that should act like a 16 at WOT. ". Something is not adding up. I am going to let my buddy bring his car GPS and we will do some testing with both props and get some hard figures so I'm not guestimating.

Last edited:

oldslowandugly

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Lots of prop shops here on long Island. I think I will begin calling and see what they recommend. EDIT: I also see that most if not all prop selection charts say the same thing. That the max rpm's must fall within the motor's range. My range is 4500-5500. My WOT rpm is 5000, maybe 5100 with the current, should I even be concerned?

Last edited:

oldslowandugly

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ha Ha! OK then, all this fuss over nothing. However I am going to continue to pursue a 16" prop or at least one that will behave like one. A call to a prop shop revealed that on such a 10 year old prop they would want to re-hub to begin with and all other dings and defects would need to be addressed. Best to start with a new prop and then let them adjust the pitch. Makes sense. I will report back if and when I get this sorted out but in the mean time I'll just keep fishing and not worry about it. THANK'S!

Last edited:

walleyehed

Admiral

NEVER remove pitch, you can increase pitch (Efficiency) but you can not drop pitch without loosing bite.
Also, a 15pSS should turn roughly the same rpm as a 17p alum. That said, The ss prop cup is likely worn substantially. To properly test pitch, you need to stay with same design, only change pitch, not material or manufacturer.