Prop timing?? Pics

mnm99

Seaman Apprentice
I'm getting a decent vibration when my drive is trimmed all the way down/in on take off. As soon as it starts to get on plane and I trim it up a bit it goes away. I don't know if this could be a prop problem, but I figured I'd start there. I've been thinking about my props though. When I put them on I was told to line up the Mercruiser logos. After more research I read the blades should never meet under the cavitation plate. That is the first thing I thing I will look at. Looks like they pass under...What do you think? Here are a bunch more pics http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/676729-prop-timing-pics-added.html Someond said move both of them 60*..??

Attachments

• 20150509_092611.jpg
    20150509_092611.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
On a Volvo forum; They claim no indication that timing is necessary.
The do suggest that if you want to insure they don't pass under at the same time put the big prop on with one blade straight down
put the small prop on with one blade straight up.Still others say they have installed with no special procedure.
Still others claimed it illiminated cavitation burn.

Maclin

Admiral
I believe it matters, and had experienced the cavitation burn then witnessed it get "fixed" by clocking the props. I made sure one prop looked like a Y and the other an inverted Y, with only one blade ever passing under the anti-cav plate at a time. Of course with diesel A-series props having one 3 blade and one 4 blade that is not possible.

mnm99

Seaman Apprentice
Well moved the props with no difference. See my post "4 blade props"