Which propeller to pontoon boat

lenarw79

Seaman Apprentice
I have pontoon boat with 60hp Mercury 4 stroke And I thinking about change prop for better speed, is this make sense? I don't have , I think, full power. Which prop is better Vengeance or Splitfire and what that's means rotation on Vengeance RH, LH and on Splitfire RH, thx

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
You should tach current ptrop firstly and determine at wot if engine runs safely inside min-max rpm range. Then can move on to a prop that best meets your boating requirements. Poonton boats have more hull drag than standard hull boats, so speed increase is relative small. Your current prop is CW, can't install a CCW rotation prop on a standard CW rotation engine.

Happy Boating

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Tell us about your boat,Try to get us your wot(wide open throttle) rpm and gps speed, lightly loaded.
Assuming 18-24 ft ; speed is probably 18-20 mph. maybe a smidge more if all is perfect.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Max 10 MPH at which wot rpm ? If don't know must install a tach. Max speed seems way low for a 60 HP.

Happy Boating

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Is the speed by gps? What size prop? Number appears near the base of the blades or under the prop nut.
I would guess an 11" prop,though we really don't have enough info.
read the stickys at the top of the forum and get us as much info as possible.