New Boat Prop Issues - 2014 Lowe ST195 w/ Mercury 115

BRYBURTON

Seaman
I'm having problems with my new boat to get in the desired rpm range of 5800-5900.

The boat is a 2014 Lowe ST195
18ft 8in
1060 lb

The motor is a 2014 Mercury 115 4 Stroke

When I bought the boat from the dealer he said they normally run a 21 pitch prop. I asked if he could credit me $300 to run my own 22 pitch. I had found this link online where they tested the same boat with a Mercury 115 2 Stroke and 22 pitch prop (https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/performance-tests/bhb/780/?units=imperial)

So I put the prop on and tested it out (13-1/2 X 22 Stainless Mercury Prop). Results: It took FOREVER to plane out. The top speed was 32 mph at 4900 rpm.

The engine did not seem to have much power. It would rev significantly when trimmed up to vertical, but still not propel the boat how I wanted it to.

So I called the dealer and they recommended a 19 pitch prop. So I bought this one (13X19 RH SS):

http://www.go2marine.com/product/19...ainless-steel-new-saturn-boat-propellers.html

I tested it yesterday. The boat plane was acceptable, but still slow. The top speed was 36 mph at 5200 rpm with just myself and 10 gallons of fuel. I trimmed the motor as high as it would go which was only slightly past vertical.

Do you think my problem is the engine, operator, or prop? I'm going to call the dealer back and see what they recommend but I thought some of you may have more knowledge. Thanks,

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
your numbers are showing you need a 15 pitch - but that seems really low for your rig. the rpm range is 5800-6400 if you have the older 1.7L engine.

what about maybe a 16p vengeance prop - that might be a good compromise ?

also wondering if your engine height is right.

java230

Petty Officer 1st Class
Was it exactly the prop tested by Merc? Props can be very different. That is also a 2 stroke in the test.

I run a 17" on mine, its a 04 115 2 stroke classic (carb'ed) its a different boat, 19' CC aluminum, and motor, but close, hull is 860# empty, with me and 20 gallons gas it tops at 40 MPH at 5k rpms.

BRYBURTON

Seaman
Was it exactly the prop tested by Merc? Props can be very different. That is also a 2 stroke in the test.

I run a 17" on mine, its a 04 115 2 stroke classic (carb'ed) its a different boat, 19' CC aluminum, and motor, but close, hull is 860# empty, with me and 20 gallons gas it tops at 40 MPH at 5k rpms.

Yeah, I realize they had a 2-stroke. But something is completely off with my boat. I only achieved 32 mph with a similar prop. I've sent my info to the dealer and he is supposed to get me some feedback. He said they recommended a 21P titan 4 blade (different from the 19 his service department recommended). Thanks for your reply.

I think I should get at least 44 mph at about 5800 rpm, but I haven't gotten close yet. Looks like I will be trying to return this 13X19 to exchange it for something else.

I hope the issue is not the motor location. It very well could be, but they have sold several of these rigs before.

BRYBURTON

Seaman
I heard back today and was told that I needed a 13-3/4 X 19 Trophy. This one is really expensive ($450-$600). It seems hard for me to believe that there isn't another prop that is more reasonable that can get me close to the same performance. I just don't understand how a 3 blade 19 SS prop can only get me 36 mph, but this trophy is going to add 9 mph.

java230

Petty Officer 1st Class
Props are all very very different, even in the same size and pitch. What hole is the motor mounted in? Take a picture trimmed all the way down from the side, we want to see where the AC plate is in relation to the keel.

BRYBURTON

Seaman
Received a message "Error uploading image". I tried making the image smaller down to 109 kb, but still no go.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Search for mercury outboard performance reports. I just wrote down 5 A lowe 1700,Duracraft 20ft 1100lbs,Crtestliner 1750 1300 lbs,
Crestliner 1850 1511lbs,Lowe 2070 1110 lbs all were over 40 all using black max 17 or 19.
Fastest was Crerstliner1750 45 mph,The 1700 and 2070 Lowes did 43 with 19" BM prop at around 5400.
It doesn't appear to me that you need a fancy prop.

BRYBURTON

Seaman
Thanks. It looks like a tracker 190 would be similar too. One was tested with the 13X19 black max with the same engine as mine at 46.6 mph. I've already ordered the trophy though for $450. If it doesn't work out then I know for sure the issue is not the prop.

BRYBURTON

Seaman
The drama continues. My trophy prop was delivered last week. I tested it on Saturday evening, and the results were almost identical to the $250 Solas I had purchased. It was a little slower to plane and top speed was 35.5 mph at 5200 rpm. I sent an e-mail to the dealer. I bought the boat new in KY and I live in SC. I would have bought local, but the closest boat was $3k more and still over 200 miles away.

Still don't know why I can't post a picture. I reduced the size to 81KB and it still will not load???

ttankmoran

Seaman Apprentice
Seems to me you either have a serious issue with drag coming from somewhere or that engine is seriously down on power. See if the dealer is willing to run it in a test tank with a test wheel.

With the specified test wheel you should be able to run it wide open in a test tank (or the lake for that matter if you leave it on the trailer) and should be able to obtain a certain rpm range if the engine is within power specs from the manufacturer.

If its the new 2.1 liter 115 its supposed to be a pretty stout engine right out of the gate, even the older yamaha blocks (with mercs head) usually put more than 115 at the prop.

but if this is a new engine and boat make the dealer test the engine, you dont want to live with a dud of an engine.

ttankmoran

Seaman Apprentice
Just saw that the dealer you bought from isn't local, shouldn't matter though as long as you find a merc dealer around you that does anything with warranty work.

BRYBURTON

Seaman
Right. We verified it is mounted in the correct location. So after talking to them, I've decided I need to take it to my local dealer and see if they can figure it out. It is a brand new boat and motor - a 2014 leftover. I bought it about 7 weeks ago.

anzomcik

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Might sound stupid, but check to make sure the throttle is opening fully when the controls are pushed all the way foward

BRYBURTON

Seaman
That doesn't sound stupid at all. When I ran it the first time I thought it wasn't opening up all the way. It was like the engine had more to give but it topped out way too early.

BRYBURTON

Seaman
Issue Resolved!!! I finally got an appointment with my local Lowe Dealer. The first thing he said was it was too much prop. Come to find out, it was a bad coil. So the Trophy 19" X 13-3/4 ran out great at 5900 rpm and 46 mph gps. Now I have to pay $80 for a lake test that is not covered by the engine warranty. Everything else is covered. Should I try and get the $80 from the dealer that sold me the boat and did not test it before shipping? Or, should I be happy everything is working as it should and forget about it?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
I guess thats your call its hard to believe they tested with those terrible results and still delivered the boat.
You might bother the merc guys how a new motor got out into the system and not solved for 3 months and $800 worth of props.
Its hard to understand why a typical sized boat propped correctly performing terribly and the dealer says change the prop.
5 minutes in the performance reports says its NOT the prop!