need prop advice 1985 4winns horizon 19.5 v8

pmjr0987

Seaman
Hello guys I purchased this boat for a great price but did not come with a propeller.

I don't know the weight of the boat but seems very small for a v8.

1985 fourwinns horizon 19.5 cuddy cabin with a mercruiser 260 v8 and a n alpha one gen 1 out drive.

I still need to register and insure the boat. It needs a gimbal bearing and I'm going to do a full tune up to be safe before going for a sea trial on the Hudson river in NY. But for sure need a prop

I'm looking at the Sola's Amita line of prop for the price and has good reviews but um completely open to ideas and suggestions! Also looking at 21 pitch prop and standard 14 1/4" diamiter but again completely open to ideas 👍

alldodge

Staff member
Hello guys I purchased this boat for a great price but did not come with a propeller.

I don't know the weight of the boat but seems very small for a v8.

1985 fourwinns horizon 19.5 cuddy cabin with a mercruiser 260 v8 and a n alpha one gen 1 out drive.

I still need to register and insure the boat. It needs a gimbal bearing and I'm going to do a full tune up to be safe before going for a sea trial on the Hudson river in NY. But for sure need a prop

I'm looking at the Sola's Amita line of prop for the price and has good reviews but um completely open to ideas and suggestions! Also looking at 21 pitch prop and standard 14 1/4" diamiter but again completely open to ideas 👍

I would suggest finding a local prop shop and ask if you can try out some props. They will charge but if you buy the prop from them most deduct the cost from the cost of the prop. Buying a used prop is much less then a new one and they work the same

The 21 is probably in the right range (19 to 21)

Last edited:

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
If your guessing on the prop I would stay on the light side. If the 21 proves to be too much prop you shouldn't use it extensively
If the 19 proves to be too light you could use the it by watching the rpm carefully.In the mean time it should give you strong performance.