not too great out the hole

rhino_160

Seaman
Hey all,
I recently bought a 2007 Tahoe 222 deck boat. Here's what I am running into the last couple days on the water. With a full tank of gas (45 gallons) 5 adults of average size (4 sitting up front and me in the rear driving) the boat gets out of the hole "decently". Now, we went back to the lake today with 6 adults and 3 children, this time myself and 2 larger adults (roughly 700lbs between us 3 ) were in the rear and the rest were up front (roughly 425 lbs). The boat took FOREVER to reach plane. I mean at full throttle it took about 20-25 seconds just to plane out. Is this a weight issue due to where we were all sitting? Its rated for 1850lbs. It wasn't cavitating unless i had the motor raised too much, but whether it was trimmed all the way down or slightly it was the same result out of the hole, just sluggish. Once on plane it was fine but if i had to slow down and lost that plane and try to throttle back, it took a little time to get back up there. This boat has the 260 HP engine and running a standard Quiksilver 3-blade 14.5x19P prop. At WOT its at roughly 4500 RPM. It will top out at 45 MPH with 6 adults so I am good with all the top end, just out the hole is horrible. Is this a prop issue? Do I need something different to get out the hole? Any advice??? Thanks

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Would be good to get us your wot rpm and gps speed with just you aboard.
I figure you were at about 1400lbs people and fuel with 1/2 the weight concentrated at the rear.
possibly more if the tank is near the stern.
Probably some additional weight like coolers beverages sporting equipment
anchor etc. On top of that I'm guessing about 700 lbs drive train.It may help
if you could put some weight in a more neutral area.
A 4 blade prop will usually improve hole shot,perhaps stay on plane easier
and handle better around the dock.It is said the Mercury "Spitfire" prop will do this and not sacrifice top end.
I wouldn't do anything until we see your wot numbers lightly loaded.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
It's a complete different novel boating with current prop you alone and lightly loaded combo as opposed to a huge larger number of passengers. If it's a second hand combo, previous owner could have propped it for a different aplication or configuration. If it's going to be a family oriented leisure boat get a prop suited exclusively for that particular use that achieves nice hole shot with less top speed and works inside safe working wot rpm parameters factory stated for that engine.

One, two + passengers added after previous run will make fair hole shot a dog turtle difference. Would be interesting to see what's your wot rpm with you alone and lightly loaded combo and with 6, 8 total passengers, definitely lugging the engine or on its way to do so.

Happy Boating

rhino_160

Seaman
It will def be used with a minimum of 4 adults every time, if not 6 plus 2-4 children and gear. I need a prop suited for this. I will try to get it out with just me one day but I am pretty sure it ran around 4700-4800 mark WOT when I first had it out with just me and a friend.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
What would be real factory wot rpm parameters for that engine. Is that boat capable of supporting as much as 6 adults + 2 teenagers ? What's the max transom rated engine for that combo ? If current prop performs good with 2 up, forget all about adding larger number of passengers with same previous performance.

Will need a prop that over revs a bit while lightly loaded at wot to significantly reduce max wot rpm as soon you beging adding more passengers. Is it possible to get a prop with variable pitch for multi purpose boating configurations ?

A hard time rigging that combo to suit several boating configurations with just single prop. Will need a bunch of diferrent props sizes and pitches to test them all and stay with the one that matches nicely your family oriented configuration.

Happy Boating

rhino_160

Seaman
I would assume it's rated to hold 6 adults and a few kids considering it's rated for 13 people. We don't carry much gear, 2 coolers, towels, life vest are about it. I am trying to figure out the recommended RPM range via the manufacturer. I looked at a variable pitch prop but they are really prices. Thinking I wkll need a 17 pitch prop to boost my RPMs up 300-400 and help get me out of the hole. Should know more once I find out the recommended RPM range.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I may have missed it but what engine do you have and what is the recommended WOT rpm range? Most OB engines (you didn't say) run up 5500 to 6000 max. You're a long way from that and besides the fact that 2 strokers (if your engine is one, you didn't say) hate to lug. My best performance with over 50 years of boating is to prop with your normal load for the top end of the recommended range or for 2 strokers, Mercs in particular, and maybe a little over. Like Steel said, more blades with less pitch help to grab and hold but you are throwing in another unknown with 4 and it can upset your numbers for assuming how low to drop your pitch to get the rpm you need. But don't let that discourage you necessarily.

My opinion is to get buddy-buddy with a prop shop and try several props before you buy. I have done it in the past and it works. Usually all you have to do is to bring it back in the condition it was in when you took it (since the guy has to sell it for new) and when you find the sweet spot, buy it from them. The way you do that is to put it on and run it in clean water that you know and as soon as you get your data point, take it off. It'll cost you more and be more trouble initially, but in the long run you will/should get the right prop and that will pay for the extras in your satisfaction and not having to guess at several props till you guess right. That gets real expensive, real fast.

Last edited:

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
Seems to be 4800 to 5200. Drop down 4" in pitch. So if you are 19 then go 15 and the watch your rpm. I don't think 17 is going to do enough. But if you do decide on 17 get something with decent diameter.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
There is a european manufacturer that produces variable pitch propellers to suit almost any engine/boat configuration. They're made of a very hard compound which is not metal, blades can be purchased as spares, can change that broken blade in minutes, Can be adjusted in 7 different pitch sizes with a turn of a Allen bolt in seconds. Ideal for multipurpose boating with a single prop.

Happy Boating