Tracking issue.....

thegoat86

Petty Officer 2nd Class
2000 Reinell 240, 7.4 merc I/O, Bravo one, 22 four blade SS prop (clean no damage)

I am having tracking problems at idle speed and min wake speeds. Bow goes left and right about three feet each way. If I don't touch the wheel, I head in the same general direction even with it swinging like this. It only becomes an issue if there is heavy traffic or going under a bridge. Lots of correct steer. The drive is not loose at all and there is no steering wheel involuntary movement. I can see the top of the drive and it is not moving. However the prop wash does go left then right. Is this an easy fix with maybe a hydrofoil or something? Maybe a skeg type anode? There is a regular disc anode in its place.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... That typical V-hull wander,....

Generally speakin', Less operator input is the Best cure,.....

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
If I recall correctly smart tabs helps track better. (passive trim tabs)when adjusting these less is is best.
Also as suggested be very aware of the motion and apply less correction but sooner. Kind of like anticipating the motion and stoping it, not
having to turn it back when it has gone too far.
With the tabs boat will plane easier and stay on plane better at reduced throttle. Applied to strongly the boat may plow and handle strangely.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
If you were cruising in air you wouldn't have a problem. Just that water is dense and that nice pointy bow gets a tiny bit more water on one side and it pushes it over. Then when you correct it, it goes to the other side. Best as Bondo said is to steer just a little at a time when you have to. Gotta pay close attention at slow speeds in close waters. Join the club, lol. Your not driving a car. I sure wouldn't spend a bunch of money on tabs or anything else because you'll never fix that very much.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
You basically want to stay "ahead" of the wander. As soon as the bow starts to move in one direction, steer in the opposite in small amounts.... I've heard power steering makes a big difference. Wouldn't know, never had it.....

thegoat86

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, I try not to over steer, but do find myself correct steering too often. I will join the club and deal. What is a hydrofoil for then? I was told by west marine here in Tampa to put one on and it would solve the issue by directing the water backwards better. Is this not the case? Boat is very powerful. I have zero performance issues and it goes really well. just the slow speed wander.

java230

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok, I try not to over steer, but do find myself correct steering too often. I will join the club and deal. What is a hydrofoil for then? I was told by west marine here in Tampa to put one on and it would solve the issue by directing the water backwards better. Is this not the case? Boat is very powerful. I have zero performance issues and it goes really well. just the slow speed wander.

No a hydrofoil will do nothing. Its the nature of a deep V planing hull. It just wanders because of the V shape.

Hydrofoil is a band aid for getting on plane quicker, sort of like a trim tab.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
What is a hydrofoil for then?
It is a piece of plastic that you mount on your drive that makes you go slower and makes it more dangerous to make sharp turns. Other than those 2 things it's great!

As far as your original question, I just keep my steering wheel straight and let it wonder back and forth. My Duo-prop boat wanders less than a single prop though.

Fed

Commander
A hydrofoil fixed that problem for me, at around 8 Knots it just felt like there was not enough keel length in the water so I gave one a try and it took the wander out completely.
If I kept the boat I would have removed the foil & fitted trim tabs as a better solution as I don't like foils.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Years ago I put doelfins on two completely different boats a 15 ft 50hp outboard and a 18' 130 hp I/O.We needed low bow rise and quick plane
So my 5' mom and sister could see over the bow. Worked excellent but did take off some speed and the boats laid down pretty flat.
A bandaid but effective.There surely are other boats that foils make handle strangely and waste fuel.As is the case with trim tabs applied
too aggressively.But the foils can't be adjusted.