So many prop options. What's a good brand & type for my needs?

Roj115

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 2010 Glastron GT-180 with a 150 HO ETEC on it. I just bought it second hand and took delivery of it yesterday.

It currently has a stock 14 3/4 x 19 pitch Aluminum prop on it. The previous owner said it will pull 5,800 rpms at WOT and does about 52 mph (according to the speedometer). That top end speed is probably overstated a bit. The previous owner also said the current prop works pretty good for water skiing.

Notwithstanding that, I want to replace the Al prop with a Stainless Steel. My primary use for the boat is water skiing (slalom) and some cruising. I want a good all-around performance prop that will give me a good hole shot and still give me pretty reasonable top end. I don't think I need to sacrifice a whole lot of top end in order to get more hole shot as none of the people I ski with are that heavy and the 150 HO should have plenty of power to yank us out of the water quickly. If I can get a prop to do those things and not give me tons of extra bow lift, that would be a good thing. I just want to stick with a 3 blade prop.

Back in the day when we bought the boat I have been using up until now, there were not many prop choices out there. For our Johnson 115 there was pretty much only the OMC Aluminum and the OMC SST props to choose from. Now there are several models of the BRP props and then there are all kinds of third party manufacturers and you can even use Merc and other OEM props from other outboard manufacturers owing to the removable hub system. So many choices. My brain is aching trying to absorb all the data... :confused:

The question is, what stainless steel options should I be looking at that best match my needs? The BRP Viper? Solas? Michigan Wheel Apollo props? Has Merc got a Quicksilver prop that would be a good option for me?

Any advice on what props to concentrate on and which to avoid would be most appreciated.

​Thanks.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Hard to tell, will need to test each type and see which one gives the best performance for your aspplication. If current alum props works ok, that's delivering full wot rpm stated for that engine will need to go for one less pitch if going SS.

If you like skiing should have a second prop dialed for that application besides the current one.

Happy Boating

Roj115

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Like I said, with all the power that I have and the lightweight boat, I don't need to go to a prop that will sacrifice a lot of top end speed just to get more power. I just want something that is a good all-around performer and hopefully won't give me a lot of excess bow-lift. As such, I probably don't want a high-rake prop so I'm wondering if there's a better stainless steel option out there for me than a BRP Viper which seems to be the best option for me out of the BRP line. There are so many options out there, I was just hoping someone could suggest which prop brands/models I should look at and which I probably don't need to because they have high rake or are designed more to be speed props. Again, I just want to stay with a 3 blade stainless.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I would think the first step is to verify the max RPM and speed, as well as the prop pitch. During the voyage you might see if you want stern lift, bow lift or no lift. Normally on a speed boat you will want bow lift to get the hull up and out of the water, but you need to determine that.