Right prop for evinrude 9.9 1987

luddovitch

Recruit
Hey!

I recently bought an old evinrude 9.9 from 1987, but the prop is missing. I found one on a sales site here in Sweden but im not sure if it will fit my engine. The seller says its marked with 8x8 and that it has been on a evinrude 9.9 from the 1970's.

Here is a pic on it: http://sv.tinypic.com/r/6yjpg2/8
And a pic on the engine: http://sv.tinypic.com/r/1zz012p/8

Anyone knows if it will fit my engine? If not, what kinds of prop should I look for?

(Sry for my bad english)

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to Iboats,

That's a prehistoric non through hub exhaust prop, probably hard to find new. Check with seller if possible to try it out, will need an induction tach to check if that prop delivers at least middle to max wot rpm factory stated for that engine for engine to run on the safe side. Which type of boat will you be powering with that 9.9 OB ?

Happy Boating

Last edited:

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
The 9.9 uses a through hub prop.Exhaust passes through the hub.Thats a nasty looking prop you would have to be paying me to take that one.We will need the brand and size of the boat. Bare utility or full dress with floor,live well etc.
Depending on the boat and typical load a 9" pitch is probably a good starting point.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
9.9 HP standard engines, not sail ones comes factory delivered with 9.5 x 10 props. It seemed strange that a 9.9 HP OB came with a non through hub exhaust prop. Does a 1987 model matches not having a through hub exhaust prop ? Old ones were non through, can't specify manufacturing year.

Happy Boating

luddovitch

Recruit
Thanks for the anwsers everyone!

I did some reseasrch and found that that prop will probebly not fit my engine. So a bought another one that i'm sure will fit my engine but im not sure how it will work with my boat, guess I will have do find out. The boat is only 3.8 meters (12.5 feet I think) and only weighs around 220lb without any things in it. Not even sure that I can run at full speed with the 9.9 on that boat...

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for the anwsers everyone!

I did some reseasrch and found that that prop will probebly not fit my engine. So a bought another one that i'm sure will fit my engine but im not sure how it will work with my boat, guess I will have do find out. The boat is only 3.8 meters (12.5 feet I think) and only weighs around 220lb without any things in it. Not even sure that I can run at full speed with the 9.9 on that boat...
Lightly loaded the 9.9 could do about 20 mph. or a little more.It will seem really fast but is safe when handled sensibly.
There are 12 ft boats that measure barely 12 ft along the gunnels. So are under 12 ft and may be rated for 10 hp. or so. I call that a small 12 footer. If the boat is glass 220 may be ok. I've seen 16 ft aluminum boats that only weigh about 260.
Problem with the little boats is they don't have enough surface to help it get up on the water with a load.
Its my opinion that a 9.9 would do better with a load in a big bare bones 14 or 16 ft aluminum.But you shouldn't add a bunch of extras,
like floors, live wells pedestal seats etc you use up some of that size advantage.

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
A 3.80 Mt boat with a healthy 9.9 should do pretty good well weight ballanced, not that heavily loaded though. Used to run a Evi 9.9 on a 3.05 Mt boat and that small size flew with 2 up. If that engine has a through hub exhaust prop try to find the original size/pitch prop factory delivered with that 9.9. On later years were delivered with 9.5 x 10 props.

Happy Boating