Prop Size

gh94z28

Recruit
I recently bought a 1989 bass tracker tournament 1600 tf and It has a Johnson 110. I took it out to a big lake to see how it would run full throttle and I couldn't get it on plane and the rpm wouldn't go above 4000. The prop that is on it is a turbo 13 1/4 x 20. Is that to large for this motor?

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
i wouldn't think that is too large - have you checked your compression and spark ? You can rent a compression tested from autozone. They sell spark testers there too.

gh94z28

Recruit
I did check it when I first got it and I had one cylinder that was a little low but after cleaning the carbon out it did come up. I will recheck this week and post. When I was reading other post everyone was running a 17 pitch prop that why I thought it was over propped.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Is your tach in good working order ? Lowering pitch from 20 to 17 (3 sizes) will add theoretically just 600 + rpms to your actual 4K wot revs. Usually max + 200 rpm per pitch size difference. At 4600 rpm still low for that engine, probably aside from prop there's something else for engine's poor wot performance. Engine height, trim , weight ballance.

If engine and tach are 100% healty and with a spun hub or in the process of becoming one, there's your culprit ? Strange previous owner used it that way probably liked boating at low speeds or didn't known much about props and working inside safe wot rpm parameters factory stated for every engine.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
it might be too large but I think it would at least plane - that turbo is probably the equivalent of a 21 or 22 but i know of a 16' boat that is heavier than yours that ran a 22" stainless and it would do fine.

with the motor off, put your shifter at full thottle - make sure the throttle plates are opening all the way (flat)

I'm sure others will have better info for you.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
The boat should certainly plane with that prop.If it couldn't get on plane something is wrong probably the motor perhaps on 3 cylinders.
If the foam under the floor is water logged it would struggle.If it wouldn't plane then the rpm would be low because it hasn't gotten on plane.
Empty the boat move some weight forward just so you can see if it will plane.If it planes with the 20 it will give you an idea what your true wot rpm is.
I do feel that something other than the prop is at work.The boat should be close to flying with a light load.

anzomcik

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am suspect to the 4000 rpm, which should put the boat at 30-33mph. plane speed should be 14-18mph.

Somthing is not right, What was your speed when you were out at 4000rpm. I wouldnot be playing with a new prop yet until we know more info

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Yes, that boat should plane at 3000 RPM or less. A 16' boat with a 110HP motor should buzz along at 45+MPH. If she won't plane, you probably cannot swing that prop due to high prop pitch or low motor power, or some combo of both.

Start with compression test and spark test. I would consider the tach to be suspect, until proven to be accurate. See if you can put a 17" pitch prop on her., as a test.

Robbabob

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Get a GPS app (if you have a smart phone) and give us your actual speed at WOT.

gh94z28

Recruit
I was able to score a 17 pitch prop really cheap but haven't been back to a no wake lake. I can tell a difference just putting around with it. I have the boat at the shop this week getting checked out.