Prop Guards

PorkBarrel

Recruit
My first post. Howdy from Sierra Mountains in California.
I just got a new Suzuki DF20 for my 14' Valco and wondered if the prop guards did any good. The theory sounds good but do they actually work?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Are you talking about locks to protect the prop from being stolen, or some kind of cage to protect the prop blades and your feet? If the latter, be aware that those will create drag and detract from performance.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If you're asking about Prop Guard brand prop protector will say that have issues, will break if hits a solid object under water, having more drag, will need to go for one less pitch to be at same current rpm as without guard. Only intended for rescue & surfer's shuttle boats or boats boating near beaches, near swimmers. Other than that it's a useless costly investiment.

Happy Boating

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Do you boat where striking a hard object is likely?If you boat where there is a lot of weeds it will be a problem.
Probably break easily and if not it may damage the motor.

PorkBarrel

Recruit
I was interested in the control ability for slow speed trolling. Sounds like as Sea Rider says a useless costly investment. Thanks for all your reply's.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
At slow speeds prop guards will controll nothing, if in pursuit of achieving less trolling speeds prop guards don't have built in some form of angle restrictor plate to slow you down. Used to have one hard plastic installed on a 30 HP combo, broke next day while hitting a hard submerged object. $ 60.00 right into the blue.

Happy Boating