Prop Stop Spinning (hit underwater object)

handyzeke

Recruit
I have a 1988 Bayliner Capri. Boat has been running great but we hit or better said scrapped some rocks this weekend with the prop. The boat continued to run for awhile but out of no where the prop stopped spinning. Boat still turns on and everything but prop does not spin. Any advice or recommendations?? Me and my husband are new to the boat scene. Thanks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The brass hub of the propeller is splined to the propshaft. The blades of the prop are connected to the brass hub by a rubber "clutch". When you hit something, the rubber "clutch" will slip, protecting the propshaft, gears etc. Often after you hit something the rubber clutch will no longer drive the prop, which sounds like the issue you have.

handyzeke

Recruit
Thanks for the reply Chris, I will look for that rubber "clutch" when I get off work
I will upload a picture of the prop too

Last edited:

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Welcome, We can help better if you give us the motor brand and hp. The capri came in a zillion sizes and configurations.
Some props have the Hub Chris mentioned it has been my experience that the hub "usually" doesn't fail completely.
Some props have a Drive or Shear pin Some times the pin will fail outright when you strike something sometimes it will weaken
and fail later.
All props have a nut that holds them on.The nut usually has a washer bent against the nut to lock it in place others have a hole or notch that a cotter pin goes through to lock the nut in place.Some props are splined to the prop shaft and may or may not have a pin that simply positions the prop
when the nut is tightened and has the hub mentioned.

handyzeke

Recruit
As for now I know its a V8 I believe OMC but once I get home, ill do my research well and update ya.ll with the exact type, motor, etc
Thanks for the tips

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Hey Steele, even pin drive props have rubber hubs. They are not designed to slip, like a modern Mercury prop, but they are designed to give a bit, if you hit something, helping to protect the propshaft from damage. Also, they do fail.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Zeke, That does not look like a drive pin. It is way too thin. The drive pin on my 50HP outboard was 5/16" thick. Your picture looks like some sort of cotter pin substitute. I will guess you have a conventional rubber pressed in hub. You might take it to a prop shop and see if they can rehub it.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Hey Steele, even pin drive props have rubber hubs. They are not designed to slip, like a modern Mercury prop, but they are designed to give a bit, if you hit something, helping to protect the propshaft from damage. Also, they do fail.
I know that most props with pin drive have the safety hub.I didn't mean to imply that pin drive is only that "pin drive".
I had my first boat when I was 6; 1 1/2 hp Evinrude on a 10 ft "sharpy"built by a man in Phoenix NY circa 1949.