Too good to be true

mr geets

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I wanted an extra prop for my 90 horse Merc refi 4 stroke. Online I found a new prop for substantially less than another dealer quoted me. I had it picked up and when I opened the box - surprise - NO HUB. I watched some YouTube stuff but am still concerned about a change over if I am on the lake, Can the rubber hub that I have now be transferred to the new hub if I need it or should I just pony up the extra money for the Torque Flow (?) hub. Any extra tools recommended for a mid lake change over? Any help appreciated.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
First of all, any prop with out a hub is basically an anchor... Have your new to you prop hubbed for your engine, if not, don't even carry it aboard. It would be worthless!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
No, it can not be switched UNLESS the existing prop has a removeable hub that matches your new prop.. Don't even try to have it hubbed with a press-in hub. It won't work. Believe me! I tried it just for s**ts and giggles.
Buy the correct hub for your prop either online, here at iboats, or your local Mercury dealer. They cost about 35 bucks.--And there might be the reason for the cheaper cost of the new prop.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You just need to buy a hub kit.

BTW, when pricing props, some come with the hub kit and some don't and that is why you see the price difference.