Hit Rev Limiter at top speed

sub2010ss

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looking for advice. I just installed a rebuilt vortec 350 in my 21 foot bayliner Capri. I've also added an edelbrock aluminum intake and 4 barrel carb. I don't know what the hp is for this combination. Listed weight is 2400lbs. The prop is a SS Mercury Marine Vengeance stamped 48 16318 21p. I did one high speed run today and hit 53mph on my gps speed indication and hit the rev limiter at what looked like 5200 rpm. Honestly I don't care to go much faster. I'd prefer not to hit the rev limiter. I wouldn't mind a prop with faster acceleration. This is my boat so I'm not 100% clear on what to expect during a top speed run. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Assume you hit the rev limiter riding solo on a lightly loaded boat, right ? If riding solo will need to back throttle so not to hit the rev limiter. Keep in mind that soon you add more weight, passengers your wot numbers will drop in proportion to load. Propping a boat right will depend entirely on the type of boating you like doing, solo riding, family leisure, skiing, etc.

Happy Boating

sub2010ss

Petty Officer 1st Class
Today I had myself, another adult and one child. Not the normal full load. We're just gonna haul the kids around, pull a tube and maybe a knee board.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would say your propped just right. As Sea Rider pointed out, add some people or gear and you won't hit the rev limiter. You could go to a higher pitch, however the hole shot will suffer

Bondo

Staff member
and hit the rev limiter at what looked like 5200 rpm. Honestly I don't care to go much faster. I'd prefer not to hit the rev limiter.

Ayuh,..... 5200 is what she's got,..... Yer motor, Don't have a rev-limiter,.....

Only the 'puter controlled injected motors do,...

Yer's is carbed, with a T-Bolt V ignition,....

Bondo

Staff member
Ahhh valve limiter eh? Try not to tap on that one again.

Ayuh,.... Ya mighta been floatin' the valves, but I'd think it'd go well over 5500 rpms, atleast for awhile,....

My Guess is, ya hit the HP limit, 'n the prop was holdin' the motor to 5200 rpms,...

sub2010ss

Petty Officer 1st Class
I still had throttle left in it. Right as I crossed over 5000 rpm she definitely popped. That's why I assumed a rev limiter as I'm familiar with ignition cutoff revlimiters and the sound they make.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If the engine doesnt have a rev limiter while "popped" could be due to a filter, defective fuel hose, fuel pump, electrical related issue...

Happy Boating

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I assume your "Hot Rod" parts are marine rated? The carb must be marine ratet to help avoid a gasoline explosion. Same with the fuel pump.

sub2010ss

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hot rod. Ha. No dual carb hi rise intake on this. It's a marine 600 cfm carb and intake. Both edelbrock. I'd hardly call that hot rodding. I have new filter and fuel lines. I'll have to check the fuel pressure on a run and see how it's holding. Regulated to 6 psig at idle right now.

sub2010ss

Petty Officer 1st Class
Went at it again today. This time I had what my normal load will be. Two adults and 4 kids. I could definitely feel the larger load, but again she came right up to just a tad over 5000rpm at 53 mph by gps, only difference instead of a pop pop was more of a pulsing sound. Kind of vrrmmm vrrmmm. Fuel pressure was pretty solid at 4.5 psig.

Bondo

Staff member
Went at it again today. This time I had what my normal load will be. Two adults and 4 kids. I could definitely feel the larger load, but again she came right up to just a tad over 5000rpm at 53 mph by gps, only difference instead of a pop pop was more of a pulsing sound. Kind of vrrmmm vrrmmm. Fuel pressure was pretty solid at 4.5 psig.

Ayuh,... Step up to the next bigger prop, 'n recheck yer fuel flows,....

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Whatever it takes to get yer Wot rpms to 4800 rpms,....