1993 Evinrude 115- stuck prop

Party hut Chris

Seaman Apprentice
trying to replace what we think is a "spun hub" on our 1993 Evinrude 115. The prop simply won't come off- anyone have suggestions or expertise?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:welcome: aboard Chris, Glad to joined us on iboats. We just recently have another boater with the exact same problem. And the consensus for his stuck prop was for him to cut the prop off. But I would certainly try other things before resorting to that method. Tilt the engine up so the prop is as high and level as you can get it and apply some good penetrating oil. Do that for a while and see if that helps. Then you could even apply some direct heat and see it that breaks it loose. Even try a wheel or pulley puller and see what happens. Remember the prop will have to be rehubbed either way and therefore you can do some damage to the internals without much worry. I'm sure others will chime in with equal or better ideas as well...

Party hut Chris

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks So much for the reply! Is there any way that only one would be able to walk me through the exact steps (fairly new to boating, but ABSOLUTE novice at how to remove the propeller) needed to remove it? Someone told me to use a hammer on the "nut", but I don't want to damage anything...

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Is the nut still on it?The washer under the nut may have tabs bent against the nut to keep it tight.. You need to get the tabs straightened out.
You may need a a block of wood to hold the prop as you try to unscrew he nut. You will need a socket to fit the nut.
I have removed nuts with channel lock pliers.
If the prop is just plain stuck you will need a prop puller. If it is really stuck the body of the prop may just pull off the hub.
Then you'll need another puller to try to get the hub off.
Normally a prop would have some greece on the shaft and will slide off when the nut is removed.