1980 Wellcraft Suncruiser 310 Proper Prop Size?

LiquidMovz

Recruit
Hey all, just joined...Thank you for being here and I look forward to contributing!

I just picked up a 1980 Wellcraft Suncruiser 310 last year and when I pulled it for winter, found out there are 2 different size props on her...

Did some googling and searching on here, and can't seem to find anything that tells me what size she should have on her...if anyone has the answer, or can point me in a direction to search further, I would appreciate it!

Sizes on her were:

Port 16 x 17
Starboard 17 x 15

Twin 350's on the engines...

Thanks in advance!

Chase

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Welcome, You might try Wellcraft for suggested props. Being a 1980 the Engines may be tired.
Your numbers with the present props should give some clues on prop size.

alldodge

Staff member
Hey all, just joined...Thank you for being here and I look forward to contributing!

I just picked up a 1980 Wellcraft Suncruiser 310 last year and when I pulled it for winter, found out there are 2 different size props on her...

Did some googling and searching on here, and can't seem to find anything that tells me what size she should have on her...if anyone has the answer, or can point me in a direction to search further, I would appreciate it!

Sizes on her were:

Port 16 x 17
Starboard 17 x 15

Twin 350's on the engines...

Thanks in advance!

Chase

:welcome: to iboats Chase

Does the boat have V-drives or outdrives? If it has outdrives it could be one went bad and someone installed a used one with a different drive ratio. If it is outdrives see if you can find the serial numbers on the side of them

alldodge

Staff member
I do have a message into Wellcraft...nothing back as of yet.

V-Drives...[/QUOTE]

With V drives, someone damaged or lost a prop and they used one they found cheap. An easy way to find out which one would work better, is take the boat out and go WOT. Your WOT should be 4200-4600 rpm. Run them up and one of the engines will either exceed the WOT rpm or one engine will not be able to reach WOT rpm.

Engine which reaches WOT rpm and does not exceed rpm has the correct prop on it.

LiquidMovz

Recruit
yeah, tried that (not for that reason, just testing), and due to weight, size and trim tabs not working, barely got over 3300. as she wouldn't plane out...and I would like to get this figured out, as once she's in the water, she is staying there until fall ;)

alldodge

Staff member
yeah, tried that (not for that reason, just testing), and due to weight, size and trim tabs not working, barely got over 3300. as she wouldn't plane out...and I would like to get this figured out, as once she's in the water, she is staying there until fall ;)

Not over 3300 rpm tells me there may be another problem. You may have some weak engines and a compression and leak down test may be in order. How many hours are on the engines?

LiquidMovz

Recruit
we do have a weak engine as well, got some blow by, so new rings will be in the plan as well...just saying the WOT option isn't there to get me to the right prop size at this point in the journey...

alldodge

Staff member
Hope you can find out the correct size, but it sounds like you have two weak engines, one just a bit weaker then the other. If your not going to do the engine rebuild/replace now, and it turns out the correct pitch is the higher one of the two, you may want to use the lower pitch anyway. In the current state I think your going to have some trouble getting on plane even with the correct props.

It could be the prior owner put a lower pitch prop on the one engine because it was weak, you never know where some ones head was

alldodge

Staff member
Did some searching and found some boats just like yours for sale. A few had spare props being sold with the boats. Maybe look them up and make a call/email asking if they wouldn't mind telling you what the prop sizes are

LiquidMovz

Recruit
Did some searching and found some boats just like yours for sale. A few had spare props being sold with the boats. Maybe look them up and make a call/email asking if they wouldn't mind telling you what the prop sizes are

That's a good idea I hadn't thought of...might even try buying the spare set off of someone, as I am going to need to recondition the "one" that is the right size anyway...I appreciate your time AllDodge...

I am glad to be part of another boating community! I look forward to interacting and giving back where I can...I am an old (as in the boat) Chris Craft guy, who whas owned over 10 60's vintage wood Constellations...Been boating all my life, the more I learn, the less I know :D