1973 Johnson 115 Prop Nut Torque Spec

bobsquatch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello all. I finally received my factory service manual for this engine and it doesn't give a torque value for the prop nut. From what I could find searching around here it looks like the general consensus is 10lbs min and 12lbs max since I have the nylon spacer. Another value was given as just snug and let the cotter pin worry about it. I am going between 10-12lbs where ever the cotter pin likes it. What do you think?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
My Merc has a splined hub and no cotter pin but spec is 55 ft-lbs. I think that translates to "good and tight" and I'd say regardless of cotter pin or not. You are locking the prop. The pin is just to keep it from backing off.

My 2c,

Mark

V153

Lieutenant Commander
Double check the nut periodically. Or at least after first time out. It's not unheard of to have props eventually seat themselves a lil further down the shaft.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
On my Johnson all I've ever done is get it to the next available hole through the castle nut after it starts snugging up. Never have had any issues with it being too loose. Just be sure to use some grease on the prop shaft splines when you reassemble.

On my mercruiser it's torque specs are 55 FtLbs but it's a totally different set up without a cotter pin and hole.

Last edited:

bobsquatch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Mine is not the castle nut but I agree with you as long as I do not destroy the spacer everything should be good all new parts will wear in retorque as necessary and use a new stainless steel cotter pin and we should be fine