2010 40hp mercury prop question

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Just guessing He was probably noting the rpm as he adjusted the trolling speed.
Likely knows what rpm produces ideal speed.
Or perhaps he can set the tach to a certain rpm and it will put the motor at that rpm.
My guess is that your setup is more primitive and you have to adjust the trolling speed with your remote throttle control.
I suppose his setup the" tach" can automatically control the motor rpm as current or wind require.

1gumbi

Cadet
Update. I put my new solas 10.8/12p 4 blade prop on yesterday and took it out for a test run. It was perfect! It had great get up and go with a top end speed of 32@6000 rpm's(with the girlfriend. I could really tell the difference in the heavy current between the 3 and 4 blade. Also the 4b is a lot smoother running at troll speed. Thanks to all for the input. Happy motorboating!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Congrats, I love when things works out specially when using a tach to test different props till the spot on one is dilaled in. Many boaters tachs by ear or by prop swap which is an insane method to harm any engine in the short run by lugging or over revving it. Very nice numbers at 6 K rpm with 2 up, with 1 up engine should over rev a bit, if it's a 4 strokes rev limiter will be doing his homework kicking in to avoid over revving assuming 6K is its max wot rpm factory stated.

Happy Boating

1gumbi

Cadet
It's either 6000 or 6300 rpm's wot. I have an analog gauge that only goes to 6000rpm's so it's hard to tell for sure. I'm currently trying to get an Eco mercmonitor so I can digitally track my rpm's. I'd also like to use the troll control feature. I think I'll start a new thread for that. I've read roto's posts but still have some questions.