Interchangeable hub vs pressed rubber hub

rengnath

Cadet
I'm getting ready for spring and the next item on the shopping list is a new prop. I'm a big fan of the Sola's props, mainly due to their price point and quality for my purposes.

For my next prop, I can get the prop I want in the pressed rubber hub model or an RBX interchangeable hub model. From my Google searches, the only thing I can really find is that an interchangeable hub allows for easy swapping between props or easy replacement, where a pressed hub has to be done at a shop.

The prop with an interchangeable hub is about $25 more than the pressed rubber hub. Performance wise, is there a difference?

Thanks

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
The difference to me (opinion) is this: The rubber hub is designed to slip when an obstruction is hit. To re-engage, the engine is shifted into N to take the load off the prop, the hub reseats automatically in the prop, back to F and be on your way......no big deal.

The removable hub that I have and have seen is made of brass and plastic. The brass has fingers like a star that protrude outward from the hub center into the plastic for gripping purposes. Upon hitting an obstruction, especially with a SS prop, what is there to give? The plastic. The fingers of the brass insert rip through the plastic and tear it up resulting in hub destruction, no resetting, no repairing, no being on your way.

All 3 of my SS props are rubber hubs for that reason. I'm told that going to the removable hub allows dealers to stock fewer parts and service a wider range of customer options. Ok fine for the dealer, but not for me.

Edit: Another thing is that there is some give to the rubber so when shifting it's softer and quieter. The plastic and the brass are hard; nothing there to flex. Don't believe me, get a hub and take your knife and try to push it into the plastic!

Mark

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Mark, A lot of times, when a rubber hub prop hits something and slips, it does not reseat itself, forcing you to go at idle speed, or perhaps you cannot even make any progress at all. It will require a trip to the prop shop to get a new rubber hub pressed in.

A modular hub prop allows the user to swap in a new hub. Of course you must spend the $ to have one on board and the tools necessary to change it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I personally like having the separate hub kits. Never had to deal with them until I just bought my boat with a Mercury outboard.

I have had rubber hubs go bad. Glad I don't need to deal with them anymore. My Volvo DuoProp does not use rubber hubs either.

Last edited:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Guess it's what you get used to. Never had a rubber hub that wouldn't reseat. I guess growing up in the day of shear pins (sheared drive pins) on OMC outboards is part of my prejudice; one reason I went to Merc which had a splined hub and no drive pin to shear. Seems when they failed, you obviously hit something but you, more often than not, were in harm's way, like on the windward side of rip rap or such on a windy day which is the norm around here.

Mark

rengnath

Cadet
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I decided to go with the Sola's Rubex Stainless prop with the interchangeable hub. The Rubex hub is rubber vs hard plastic, which seems to be an advantage that they have over other hubs. It seems that the interchangeable hub is a better choice.

While doing my research, I wanted to add a prop lock. I looked up the video for the McGaurd lock and it removes the lock washer. I can't believe a company would have a product that requires the removal of the lock washer. I usually store my boat in the garage, but when planning on an early morning fishing trip or coming home late at night, I just leave the boat on the street. I live in a nice neighborhood, but I would hate to come out one morning to a missing prop.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I have my boat in my driveway and I have a set of $1400 Volvo DuoProps on it! I don't worry about it.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I have my boat in my driveway and I have a set of $1400 Volvo DuoProps on it! I don't worry about it.

Yeah Bruce, but do you fish the windward side of rip-rap in nice and close where the bait and fish are? You only have a minute or two from solitude to destruction on the rocks and don't have time to fool with your prop.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Yeah Bruce, but do you fish the windward side of rip-rap in nice and close where the bait and fish are? You only have a minute or two from solitude to destruction on the rocks and don't have time to fool with your prop.
I was talking about them being stolen.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... That's why ya carry an Anchor, Mark,....

Toss the anchor, stabilize the hull, then I throw on the spare prop I carry, 'n get the 'ell outa there,..... ;)

As for the prop hub styles,.....

I've had Prop Shop pressed in rubber hubs, 'n factory rubber hubs fail, 'n get me back, idlin' home, 'n I've had 'em fail, 'n ya go Nowhere,....
The pressed in rubber hub props, Gotta go to the Prop Shop to be fixed,....

The newer style plastic put together by hand prop hubs, work 'bout the same way,....
I've seen 'em leave ya stranded, 'n I've seen 'em come in, again, idlin',....

I've seen neither style of hub, Self-fix itself to 100% performance though,....

The "Family" I've worked for, for the last couple of decades, are River Rats,...
St. Lawrence River Rats, the 1000 Islands variety,...

I believe it's in the genes of the clan, that an undamaged prop, Has to be run into the rocks a few times,...
I've never, Ever pulled one of their barges that the prop was still in serviceable condition,...
Anything from polished tips, to No blades left, at All....

As I said, the pressed hub props gotta go to the Prop Shop,...
The newer composite type, I can replace the hub, with nothin' but hand tools in my pickup at the dock,....

I'm runnin' the Torque-shift prop on My barge,.... Like Bruce's duo-props,.... No hub at All,... solid aluminum body,...
But I still got an ole aluminum spare prop down under a cushion in there somewhere, with the washers, keepers, 'n nuts wired to it,... :)

Last edited:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Well sir I can't argue the point with you. I just have my limited experiences and I know you are in the marine business. On the anchor, not an option where I used to fish......too close to the RR. Usually trolled along it where the water was about 4' deep give or take. which put you within 20' roughly of the bank and always rough going with incident and reflected waves clashing......butttt that's where the big boys stalked their prey and that's where I went after them.

Mark

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I've become a fan of the separate hub systems, I have the Turning Point on my fishing boat and the Quicksilver Black Diamond with interchangeable hub on my cruiser. Although I don't have the Solas prop, I think you'll be very happy with your interchangable hub prop choice.