Another one.. what prop for my boat?

Racer67

Seaman Apprentice
I know this question gets asked all the time, but when I bought my boat the previous owner hit something and sheered the prop off. I had asked him if he knew the size, he did not. I've been reading for the past 2 hours and I think I need to be in the 19 pitch range?

Boat is a 1988 Wellcraft Center Console, 20' 6". Powered by a 1980 something (1982 lower end) 115 HP Mercury inline 6. I was able to find the manufacturer boat specs, 1920lbs (unsure if that's with the engine or not), draft is "up 18, down 36"

Any help is appreciated. I'm not looking for top performance or anything special, just something to cruise with without putting any added stress on the engine.

THANKS!

Maclin

Admiral
I'm thinkin' a 17p. Just seems like 20 foot is the point where a 115 would want a 17, especially with passengers and other gear loading it down, where in a 18-19 footer a 19p would do Ok with similar loads. A 17p would almost certainly not be underpropped and would let the engine rev freely with less chance of lugging.

This is only a bench-propping estimate, hopefully others with similar rigs will pop in.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
While the Mercury six cylinder 115 "Tower of Power" is indeed a good engine and potent for its size, it is simply not a magic engine. 115 ponies will only do so much and you have a heavy boat.

Prop selection varies with expected load and engine size. Were I you, I would first go to the Mercury Propeller section of ebay and buy the cheapest aluminum 13 X 15 and 13 X 17 props you can find. Try each and decide which puts the engine in its rated RPM power range at wide open throttle.

If there is a Mercury dealer near you, pick his brains and see if he has any loaner or test props.

After deciding which prop is best, buy a good daily use prop.

Racer67

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks all. Bought a 13x17 from iBoats and received it today. Tomorrow is 80% chance of rain, but taking it out Sunday.. so we'll know then.
Found a 21p locally and nearly bought it since I was originally thinking a 19p would work, so the 21p shouldn't have been far off. Glad I posted it here and got your replies, saved me a lot of money. :D