1957 Evinrude Prop Question

Markemark0231

Recruit
I bought one 57 Evinrude Fast Twin 18 EL and one 57 Johnson 18. Restoring the Evinrude and using many of the Johnson parts. My question is regarding props. One of the props looks brand new with the full blade still in tact. The other prop appears to have a little less blade and it's slightly lighter. When I flick the fuller prop I get a thud sound. When I flick the lighter prop I get a "Ping" sound. Both are aluminum. Why do they sound so different? Both appear to have the internal bushings in tact. Which is better?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
I can't tell you why but I do have a number of props.2 Mercury props from a 65 Merc 500 one from 65 heavily used but apparently never had a serious accident.
Another much newer lightly used but a minor contact both ping but the newer one actually rings.I have 2 Omc 1950s 2 blade 5.5 hp props The older slightly
more used prop pings,the newer looking one thuds.I have a Martin 75 2 blade that pings.
My guess is a prop that thuds may have had a major repair.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
As a teenager I had that same engine. Paid $400 for it new in '57. Kept it in my room, gas tank outside, mom was very forgiving.

As far as sounds associated with shifting, several things come to mind. First is shifting rpm. Obviously higher the rpm, harder the impact when shifting. If shifting at idle, in my opinion, you shouldn't get all that much difference in noises with different props configured identically. What comes to mind is maybe a rubber hub prop like we had when that engine was new vs a currently available prop with a plastic/brass removable hub. The rubber hub would shift soundlessly at idle and the plastic could make a different noise, being more dense.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
I think he is referring to flicking the prop as you might a mellon to check ripeness.