1964 18hp evinrude outboard spun prop or shifting problem?

randy1981

Cadet
How can I tell if my prop is spun. I've taken prop off the pin is intact and everything looks good. However when I try to excellerate it jumps . Could it be that it is not going all the way in forward as I have had tgat problem before had to adjust tge shifter link abd have replaced the copper coupling tgat holds tge shifter together as I noticed it was commingg apart when I shifted into forward. Anny way I haven't been bsck on water since putting tge new copper piece on and adjusting to where it goes all tge way in forward and reverse with out coming apart. So any answers would be appreciated thanks.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
The shift rod needs to be inserted into the coupler so the bolts pass through the groove in the rod.
Some units have a detent ball the helps keep the shift dog engaged. These often get lost
if taken apart carelessly.
If the motor is jumping like you hit something very likely the shift dog is worn and needs to be replaced.
On some motors you can flip the dog and and I think switch the forward and reverse gears to get better drive surface.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Props are not eternal, you have a 49 year oldie prop if happens to be the stock prop, just in case, see if possible to get a new one, engine will be eternally grateful if already with spun prop.

Happy Boating

64osby

Admiral
Pretty sure most of the old 18 hp props did not have a hub, so the prop can't spin a hub.

You can have a shear pin break.

Steelspike has described the two areas to look at.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
???----The props did have a rubber hub !----The detent balls are for a more positive nuetral and they do not hold the clutch dog in gear !

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Thinking back, looking at the prop from the back side is the brass slot where the drive pin (we called them shear pins as that is what they usually did) mates to the prop when installed. Scribe a line from this brass material to the aluminum part of your prop. When you work through the shifting discussed, then take the thing out and see if you can make it repeat the process. If so, pull the prop and check your line. If no longer aligned, the rubber hub is slipping. A new prop would be better than to fool with that one if OEM equipment. They sell them on iboats!

Mark