1998 Bayliner 1954 Capri Prop/RPM

Jbwardfamily

Recruit
I just bought a 1998 Bayliner 1954 Capri with a 3.0 Mercruiser. It has a 19 pitch aluminum prop and is running close to 5000 RPMs at WOT. Im maxing out at 42mph and know that I won't ever get much more than that. That's fine with me. My question is whether it's a good idea to move up to a 21 pitch to get my RPMs down. 5000 just seems high to me and I don't want to push a 16 year old engine harder than I have to. We like to ski and wakeboard and I worry that the hole shot will suffer too much.

Any advice?

Bondo

Staff member
I just bought a 1998 Bayliner 1954 Capri with a 3.0 Mercruiser. It has a 19 pitch aluminum prop and is running close to 5000 RPMs at WOT. Im maxing out at 42mph and know that I won't ever get much more than that. That's fine with me. My question is whether it's a good idea to move up to a 21 pitch to get my RPMs down. 5000 just seems high to me and I don't want to push a 16 year old engine harder than I have to. We like to ski and wakeboard and I worry that the hole shot will suffer too much.

Any advice?

Ayuh,.... It Should be turnin' 'bout 4800 rpms at Wot,.....

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Is your speed by gps? Only surely accurate speed.
How close to 5000. 4400 to 4800 is the rating.
42 @ 5000 indicates 6% slip.Unusually low. Low double digits is more typical.
I suspect if you check gps speed it will be closer to 40.
If almost 5000 is really 4900 I think you can see it doesn't warrant a prop change.
just a throttle reduction.The 19 will give stronger hole shot and respond better to added load
or water sports. A 21 will lower rpm,slow hole shot and struggle more with water sports.
Actually may make the motor work harder.

Jbwardfamily

Recruit
Thanks. I'll stick to a 19. The prop itself is a little banged up so I may just change it out for another 19. Would a 4 blade offer any improvements over the 3 blade? What diameter works best?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Diameter is a secondary consideration and typically just follows the pitch.As pitch goes up usually diameter goes down and viceaversa.
A 4 blade usually improve grip,may improve hole shot,may seem smoother and may stay on plane easier at reduced throttle.
Also may respond better around the dock.
However it may lose a little top speed.
It is usually suggested to drop an inch pitch when going to a 4 blade to maintain rpm.
If the boat is new to you I think I would run it some as is till you get an idea how it acts in different situations.