Boat lists,porposes while on plane.

juicegoose

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've been around boats for a while. Not all my life but a while. recently I picked up a 07 2110 w/tunnel nauticstar bay boat. The boat is outfitted with a 200hp optimax, 17p rev 4 prop and 6" jackplate. All batteries(4 of them) are in the center console. The boat is also outfitted with trim tabs. I have noticed that while on plane and attempting to untuck the motor to the point the steering feels slightly free I can not get there as the boat will begin porposing long before that feeling occurs. To get the steering feeling free I have to put in 1/4-1/2 trim tabs. Obviously that's not the best way to run. Anything short of that has me using two hands to steer. Especially in the opposite direction of torque.
Also I have notice that while on plane the boat will list to the left. I generally have to put in 1-2 clicks more trimtab on that side to counteract the force.

Lastly if I'm just slowly cruising along and I put in all of the trim tabs the boat will try to turn rapidly. I've only done it once on accident and another time to verify. Nothin at high speed but enough to maintain plane.

My questions are this.
1. Shouldn't I be able to trim out my motor to have relatively loose steering feeling or is it all dependent on the boat?
2. would the prop be causing the listing? Also is the rev4 more a bow lifting prop?
3. Any ideas why the trim tab actuation would cause a pull to the left? Is it that the tabs are pushing the hull out of the water so much that the torque of the motor then takes over?

I'm kind of at a loss

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
tabs too far in stick the front V in too deep causing sharp turning.

look for one of these - adjust to the opposite side. If you do not have one, get one.

trim-tab.gif

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
oh and the list is not out of the norm. Depending on hull design very minimal amounts in weight (stationary and mobile like kids) and wind can affect. I had a 21 Bayliner bowrider that was affected by wind quite a bit (no tabs).

As far as the tabs bring in when on plane, mine are almost always in to some degree.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
I've been around boats for a while. Not all my life but a while. recently I picked up a 07 2110 w/tunnel nauticstar bay boat. The boat is outfitted with a 200hp optimax, 17p rev 4 prop and 6" jackplate. All batteries(4 of them) are in the center console. The boat is also outfitted with trim tabs. I have noticed that while on plane and attempting to untuck the motor to the point the steering feels slightly free I can not get there as the boat will begin porposing long before that feeling occurs. To get the steering feeling free I have to put in 1/4-1/2 trim tabs. Obviously that's not the best way to run. Anything short of that has me using two hands to steer. Especially in the opposite direction of torque.
Also I have notice that while on plane the boat will list to the left. I generally have to put in 1-2 clicks more trimtab on that side to counteract the force.

Lastly if I'm just slowly cruising along and I put in all of the trim tabs the boat will try to turn rapidly. I've only done it once on accident and another time to verify. Nothin at high speed but enough to maintain plane.

My questions are this.
1. Shouldn't I be able to trim out my motor to have relatively loose steering feeling or is it all dependent on the boat?
2. would the prop be causing the listing? Also is the rev4 more a bow lifting prop?
3. Any ideas why the trim tab actuation would cause a pull to the left? Is it that the tabs are pushing the hull out of the water so much that the torque of the motor then takes over?

I'm kind of at a loss

Ya got a few things which can and will cause you some problems. First you have 50 more HP on the boat then you should have. Max HP for that boat is 150. The link below is for 2014 but size remains the same
http://www.nauticstarboats.com/boats/nauticbay-boats/2110-sport/

Your boat is coming to high out of the water do to HP, jack plate and the lift. Check how the cavitation plate aligns with the bottom of the hull. You don't want your steering to feel like mush, there should always be something there. Now if you want real easy steering go hydraulic.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Yes i like that setup from what i can read and see it's setup equipment wise extremely on the edge..one miscalculation and its we wallet time at best. It looks like a light weight.... shallow bottom v.... high over horse powered... high lift 4 blade prop.... taken one last step with a setback.....1/4 mile drag boat.. i would love to have a little rocket like that to just play with for a while, do you run in very shallow water?? You should take this to the prop forum's there are a few there who could guide you along to set that thing up or tune it a bit better. If a member named Dhadley chime's in pay close atten you will find no one better for that setup.

I believe your boat is literally jumping out of the water and taking your tab's to nose it back in is just making thing's worse..

Last edited:

Peter Eikenberry

Chief Petty Officer
Not only too much HP, too much weight. Your 200 Hp and its gear weigh about 100 lbs more than the 150. So you have changed the boat's trim. Down at the stern. This also changes the boat's center of gravity. It raises it a few inches which probably accounts for the list when on plane. The bigger engine has more torque also tending to make the boat list a bit on plane.

juicegoose

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the replies guys. I do not currently have a trim tab anode on the motor. I was told that with the seastar hydraulic steering they aren't needed. The boat isn't over motored for the age. I called nautic star after getting the boat and they stated that the hull is still rated at 200hp but the 2110 was more a value boat and they didn't sell many with 200hp engines so they dropped the hp rating. Nautic star did admit they had issues with the tunnel hull and 200hp motor. something about reduced planning surface and increased power/weight.
Also I'm confused on the weight theory. When looking at the spec data on various engines the opti 200 dry weight is 497lbs where as say the Yamaha f150 four stroke weight around 480. Not that much of a difference to me.

Last edited:

juicegoose

Petty Officer 2nd Class
NauticStar 2110 tunnel w/200 opti prop help.

I recently bought an 07 nauticstar 2110 w a 6" jackplate, trim tabs, 4 batteries, 200hp optimax running a 17p rev4 prop. To say the boat will get out of the water easily is an understatement and I can not get the prop to blow out. Top speed is around 45mph or so at 5500 rpm Problem I do have is with porposing. According to NauticStar the tunnel version had issues with the reduced planning surface of the tunnel hull and the increased weight of the motor causing the hull to not hold as well. When I bought the rev4 I was told is was a stern lifter but then was told again later on that info was incorrect. I Don't run in skinny water but travel around the lake often with typically 5 adults on board. I also have issues with the boat listing slightly while on plane. I know trim tabs help this but if the prop is adding to it then I'd like to find something else.

Any advice?

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Some thoughts...shallow v not much drag....setback weight transferred even further back.....high lift revolution 4 blade with that much power will literally lift that boat out of the water (climb)...compounded by a set back again your tipping or balancing your boat hull on a the transom area there is very little hull in the water which is dangerous from a stability stand point read left to right wobble or chine walk The porposesing is due to all that weight setback and lift...it's climbing and tilting its self back on the transom area and cav plate then falling off..not enough hull area to keep it up. A good 3 blade prop would change thing's up a bit.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Here i:ll stir the pot so to speak..:hungry:

Some thoughts...shallow v not much drag....setback weight transferred even further back.....high lift revolution 4 blade with that much power will literally lift that boat out of the water (climb)...compounded by a set back again your tipping or balancing your boat hull on a the transom area there is very little hull in the water which is dangerous from a stability stand point read left to right wobble or chine walk The porposesing is due to all that weight setback and lift...it's climbing and tilting its self back on the transom area and cav plate then falling off..not enough hull area to keep it up. A good 3 blade prop would change thing's up a bit.

I guess one more thing can you take a look at the bottom of your hull from the transom back and see if there is a built in hook. easy to do one can use some cheap lumber anything that is straight put it on the hull bottom and look for a gap

The fact you cant blow out the prop, can you take a pic side angle that show's how your cav plate lines up to the bottom of the hull.....you could be running quite deep.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
How about try this and let us know. Run a straight edge along the bottom of the keel and see how it matches up to the pic below
AntiventilationPlateStraightEdge-2.jpg

Then take a pic of your setup and let us look at it

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,..... I'm seein' a 3 blade, with Alota Rake,... More leverage to hold the hull up,...

juicegoose

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Bondo thanks for the thread merge. Okay so I'll try to answer the questions to the best of my ability as the boat isn't close by to take pictures. I have attached some pictures a buddy and I took for the news agencies and our own fame(NOT!!!) These pictures were all taken with me going around 25- 30mph and trimmed to a normal attitude before having to add tabs to counteract the porposing. The picture of the jackplate shows where my cav plate is in relation to the water stream while going around 35-40 and with the plate at around 3. The jackplate allows for me to adjust from a scale of 1-6 while on plane and running straight I can jack the motor all the way up and still not loose water pressure. The pocket tunnel really creates a square box of water for that prop to chop into. One thing I did fail to mention before was that the more tucked in the motor the more it has a tendency to pull slightly to the right if I'm not mistaken. If I'm watching the gps and have a track I'm following I'll have to make corrections as the boat will continue to vere off. I can even watch the wheel turn slightly and feel it add pressure to my grip.

Attachments

• photo213240.jpg
    photo213240.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo213241.jpg
    photo213241.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 1
  • photo213242.jpg
    photo213242.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo213243.jpg
    photo213243.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo213244.jpg
    photo213244.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 1
  • photo213245.jpg
    photo213245.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 1

alldodge

Staff member
Bondo thanks for the thread merge. Okay so I'll try to answer the questions to the best of my ability as the boat isn't close by to take pictures. I have attached some pictures a buddy and I took for the news agencies and our own fame(NOT!!!) These pictures were all taken with me going around 25- 30mph and trimmed to a normal attitude before having to add tabs to counteract the porposing. The picture of the jackplate shows where my cav plate is in relation to the water stream while going around 35-40 and with the plate at around 3. The jackplate allows for me to adjust from a scale of 1-6 while on plane and running straight I can jack the motor all the way up and still not loose water pressure. The pocket tunnel really creates a square box of water for that prop to chop into. One thing I did fail to mention before was that the more tucked in the motor the more it has a tendency to pull slightly to the right if I'm not mistaken. If I'm watching the gps and have a track I'm following I'll have to make corrections as the boat will continue to vere off. I can even watch the wheel turn slightly and feel it add pressure to my grip.

Tabs are used to bring the bow down and/or flatten out the boat listing port or starboard. They should never be needed to stop porpoising. From the pic of you cav plate being under water at 35-40, it looks to me your motor is to low. So as you increase speed your boat starts coming out of the water entirely and then drops back in. This back and forth is porpoising. The steering to the right is torque steer from the boat out of the water and rotation of the prop

juicegoose

Petty Officer 2nd Class
But the cav plate isn't in the water in that pic. I know it's hard to see but when I took those pictures the cav plate was actually about an 1" above the flow of water being directed by the tunnel. I add the tabs when trimming because otherwise I have to keep the motor dang near tucked and the resulting force on the wheel causes two handed turning.
So It does seem like I might have multiple things going on but is the prop a big issue? If so what should I be looking at?

alldodge

Staff member
Agree you have several issues, but IMO your cav plate is to far under the water. I can see the front edge just starting to show, but the back is deep as in being tucked in and under. Just an opinion from what I'm use to seeing when a boat is on plane

juicegoose

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ah I see what ya mean now. The question remains though that it seems that the prop I currently have is not helping my situation. Would reproping to a 3 blade help?

alldodge

Staff member
Ah I see what ya mean now. The question remains though that it seems that the prop I currently have is not helping my situation. Would reproping to a 3 blade help?

Maybe, it will create less lift, but lets find out all the reasons why your having the issue before changing anything. Get a straight edge and see how the cav plate aligns to the keel.

juicegoose

Petty Officer 2nd Class
In what position do I set the jackplate when taking the measurement. It's adjustable by 6"vertically