Michigan Match Aluminum Props.

Reg312

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1991 40 hp Evinrude on same year 20' Lowe pontoon. I've used 2 props on this thing and I've spun another hub so need to get a new one. My dock is in low water but I always travel slow and tilt when needed. There are times in spring and fall water is lower than usual and I do kick up mud. Are these propellers know for easily spinning the hubs? Or should I just deal with this brand propeller and rather have a spun hub vs. broken lower unit? Thanks.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Michigan has been making props for a very very long time. I haven't been aware of any premature hub failure.
UIsually a prop shop can rehub a prop.Is the prop the correct pitch?Does the motor reach max rated rpm. 5500.
There is a slim possibility too much pitch might cause premature hub failure in conjunction with runnimng in the mud.
You might try A Solas Amita prop. All props have a a cushion hub.

Reg312

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Using the right one as far as I know. 13" dia - Pitch 11 and rpms around 5200

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Sounds right to me. Is that 2 props since 91? Roughly 11 or 12 years each?
Are you out every day or once a month?Hubs do fail spontaneously as they age,
especially if they have had hard contact enough to slip at some point.

Reg312

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Oh heck no. I've owned the pontoon 3 years and on my 3rd prop. We run pretty much every weekend from spring to fall. But like mentioned earlier, we are on low water but usually take it slow. I think what spun this last one is a storm caught us with our pants down and a 40hp on a 20' pontoon heading into the storm is not a good mix. Once I hit the shallow water I tilted up the best I could but couldn't power down much or we would have never made it back to dock.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
A powered jack plate might get you off bottom and might allow fine tuning the ideal height for general operation.
Unfortunately at a hefty price.You could buy an awful lot of props for the cost of a powered jack plate.
I wonder if you could raise the motor an inch or 2 without venting too much.
If it's too low now it might improve overall performance and gain a little space.

Reg312

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hmm... Looks pretty easy to raise motor up an inch or 2. With normal load at rest the top tip of blade sits 6-7" under water. I have no idea what proper depth prop should be below the surface?

alldodge

Staff member
When your running at cruise speed and WOT your cavitation plate should be at the top or barely under the water. When looking back you should be able to make it out on your pontoon. If you raise the motor and it starts to spin out your to high

Reg312

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK .... I might give that a try next year. Thanks for the info!