Stainless Steel vs Aluminum

WrenchHead

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What is the upside and downside of an aluminum prop and a SS prop? I have heard SS is sharper and harder, but is that an advantage over aluminum? All opinions welcomed.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
stainless also does not flex or loose its shape, resulting in better control and top end. However stainless is stronger, so a good whack with a stainless prop can damage the prop hub, prop shaft or other parts of the lower.

its a trade-off, the performance of stainless, or the sacrificing charactoristics of aluminum.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
I've read thast SS are usefull on boats running 50+ knots, definitely not opt for portable engines. A matter to try both, SS and alum with same diam and pitch on same boat and engine on flast glass no wind water cond and with a tach and GPS check its rpm/speed differences. SS can cost up to 3 times than of alum ones.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
A ss prop usually costs about 3 times that of aluminum. An entry level ss prop may be only marginally better than a quality al prop.
Not doubt ss is stronger and resists soft contact (sand and mud) better than aluminum but damage repair costs more.
Al props are somewhat delicate but easier and less costly to repair.
There are al props that can produce close to ss performance. ie: the Turning Point Hustler and Rascal.
Some present day al props use (squeeze cast" technology) for a thinner,stronger prop.

WrenchHead

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks guys, all good replies. I have a few nicks in my 2005 BassTracker 60HP 4-stroke Merc. I don't detect any vibration or cavitation but was thinking about a new prop. I never run faster than 15-20 mph (4,200 RPM), so speed is not important to me. I have hit a tree root and concrete ramp with my prop, which resulted in the nicks. I think I'll just stick to the aluminum.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
stainless also does not flex or loose its shape, resulting in better control and top end. However stainless is stronger, so a good whack with a stainless prop can damage the prop hub, prop shaft or other parts of the lower.

its a trade-off, the performance of stainless, or the sacrificing charactoristics of aluminum.

+1 if your running in shallow water with possible hits to the prop,,, you dont want SS.....as Scott said...your drive gears can be damaged which is a lot more money to fix than knocking out a ding on aluminum prop...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
with the ever-changing channels down here, and the fact that there are two types of boaters - those that have run aground, and those that will run aground because of the ever changing channels. I myself run aluminum props because I have hit everything submerged that you can thing of. Rocks....mud....oyster shoal....a boat (yes, I hit a scuttled boat in the ICW that was about a foot under water).....And because Volvo Penta DP props are really pricy.

the folks at general propeller know us on a first name basis. :facepalm:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Get another alum. You don't need SS. I'm saying this and I am a SS man tried and true.

Mark

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
with the ever-changing channels down here, and the fact that there are two types of boaters - those that have run aground, and those that will run aground because of the ever changing channels. I myself run aluminum props because I have hit everything submerged that you can thing of. Rocks....mud....oyster shoal....a boat (yes, I hit a scuttled boat in the ICW that was about a foot under water).....And because Volvo Penta DP props are really pricy.

the folks at general propeller know us on a first name basis. :facepalm:

I dont know how to respond...laugh cry or both. That has to be a bit frustrating.