Prop opinion

gtdavis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1993 Sylvan 20' pontoon with a 60hp evinrude. Runs 19-22mph (gps) at around 5800rpms wot. with two people, batteries 12 gal of gas and light fishing gear, the prop is pretty chewed up on two of the blades so I don't think I need to mess with the pitch or anything like that pretty sure its giving all it can. I was looking at the 3 blade Vortex and three blade Hustler was want opinions or suggestions on best prop on a budget for a pontoon. Thanks!

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
both of the props you mentioned will lower your RPM at WOT. 5800 sounds perfect and I would get the exact same prop if i were you. If you do choose a Hustler go down to the next lower size. I have a 15p hustler and it runs 500 rpm lower than my normal 15 AL prop.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
While your speed seems in the ball park you didn't say what size prop you are running.
I like a 4 blade on a pontoon.Should be less sensitive to ventilation,have lower slip numbers and respond better around the dock.
The Solas Amita and Rubex props have a good reputation. Same props but Rubex has a interchangeable hub.

gtdavis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
While your speed seems in the ball park you didn't say what size prop you are running.
I like a 4 blade on a pontoon.Should be less sensitive to ventilation,have lower slip numbers and respond better around the dock.
The Solas Amita and Rubex props have a good reputation. Same props but Rubex has a interchangeable hub.

Sorry about that....Im not sure the brand and when I went to look at the size it read 13 ?? X 15 there is a number or something just before the "X" that is mangled up. Any help the would be appreciated. If I go with the Rubex 4 blade do I need to decrease the pitch??

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Did you look under the prop nut for numbers?I would suggest dropping one inch in pitch going to a 4 blade.
I don't think the prop is a 15" pitch.My experience is typically 11 or 13" pitch.

gtdavis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
If it ever stops raining I will pull the prop and look.....

gtdavis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok FINALLY got to take the prop nut off.... My current prop is 13.75 x 15 no markings as to manufacturer. I have also come across the Hydrus prop, It reads like an ideal prop for a pontoon. It has aggressive cupping and large blade area, Im thinking I will need to drop to a 13 pitch at least. The other thing is that it only comes in a 13 7/8 diameter. :confused:

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Thats only an 1/8 of an inch total. only a 16th from the center. Should be no problem.
It does seem a 13" pitch would be a good start.
I haven't seen anything about the Hydrus prop.