boat preformance question

rileychad

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 14 ft sears runabout boat and it has a I believe a 20 transom but I also believe I have a motor with a shaft too long it is a 50 hp evienrude sizzler
ive been told it looks to long in my pictures but ive had it out quite a bit and it seems to handle great and smooth with no problems
my question is if it was too long what kind of problems would I have with performance and is it okay to run one too long
thanks cr

Barramundi NQ

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi riley.
if you post a picture we can give exact information as to whether the leg is too deep or not. I'm assuming that you're talking about a 20 inch shaft? A lot of motors are designed around the 20 inch regardless of the hp rating. Pics please

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if you have a long shaft on a short transom, the motor plows and performance suffers.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The model number of the motor will tell us the shaft length. Normally the motor will have a "L" in the model number for a Long (20") transom. An example of a model number is "J150ELECD" . That is a J ohnson, 150HP, E lectric start, L ongshaft, EC is for the year, in this case 1998.

Measure the transom, from keel to top and give us that measurement.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Your anti vent plate(just above the prop) should be about even with the bottom of the boat.
If you have a 20" transom Your motor is not likely too long.I think if you measure from where the bracket rests on the transom to the anti vent plate
you will find it is "about" 22".

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If you have a near flat middle wake and non water splashes over or back transom you're ok, At the sweet height spot if you can make a very close tight turn on flat no windy waters without prop cavitating.

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
The only way to determine if it's too long is simply mounting the engine on transom and going for a wot spin, engine being 20" and transom only 18" will likely produce back or over transom water splashes. Have exactly the same set up a L engine mounted on a 18" transom height, at plane produced excessive water splashes out transom, Installed a second small upper water defector plate and voila..

Can you post a pic of your lower leg shot sideways ?

Happy Boating

Last edited:

rileychad

Petty Officer 3rd Class
here it is sorta from the side I will take a better one tomorrow
it looks like its a lot lower that what It is in this picture
thanks
cr

Attachments

• 1958058_10153850031920076_1328282040_n.jpg
    1958058_10153850031920076_1328282040_n.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 0

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Assuming I'm correct about the motor actual dimensions being about 22" It looks like it may be 4" too low.
Lay something like a yard stick on top of the anti vent plate,trim the motor parallel with the bottom of the boat
should gave a clear indication of the height.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
To clarify as there's some vague information :

-Is that set-up a central console or tiller driven combo ?
-Is it a used/second hand combo which has not been tested on water by you ?

If it was tested with engine sitting at 90 deg angle (perpendicular to sea level) did you had water splashes out/over transom ?

Happy Boating

rileychad

Petty Officer 3rd Class
it is used as a center console
as far as splash I assuming you mean water splashing into the splashwell and so far it hasn't done that it looks pretty good an stays dry back there
thanks
cr

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
CR.

How about tight cornering, close turns on a dime on flat no wind sea conditions, some slight, severe. no cavitation at all ? Just trying to diagnose according to boat/engine behaviour if engine sits at the Sweet Height Spot. The SHS varies accordingly to engine brand, boat manufacturer/transom height and hull shape. All combos can be fine transom height tuned after initial water trial if in need and owner wanting to go for it.

Happy Boating

rileychad

Petty Officer 3rd Class
it seems to turn great and smooth both ways and really sharp if needed
thanks
cr