Re propping a 2003 90 HP Yamaha

X5oh

Cadet
Due to some slight misfortunes it came time to replace the OEM prop on my engine. One of the most confusing parts of this endeavor was reading all the posts on different sites which was mind boggling to say the least. So to make it a little easier for someone that might have an equal setup I'll relate all my difficulties and my final result. First my 2003 Yamaha 90 2stroke was fitted with an OEM 13 1/4"x 17" R Aluminum prop, which worked fine until several small incursions with various immovable objects. The engine is mounted on a 2003 Palm Beach White Cap 175CC WITH A 1350 # payload. Due to my frequent use in shallow sandy areas I felt a Stainless variety of prop might suit me better. My first prop selection after using all the prop guides and forum postings was a Stiletto Advantage 13 1/4x17R with the additionally needed shaft adapter for the 15 spline Yamaha. The prop is quite an impressive piece of equipment and I first observed the very pronounced RAKE of the blades and the VENTS at the hub base for the blades. Next the hub kit had to be installed which is pretty forthright and has spacers and needed pieces for both Yamaha and Mercury applications. After following the directions closely and insuring all the right spacers were used and oriented to fit the shaft and all seated properly, I attempted to install the assembly. My first obstacle was the Trim tab anode, I could already see that the clearance was going to be a little to none, mainly because of the enhanced RAKE design of the prop, but they do make a tab to deal with that. My second problem became evident when the prop freely slipped onto the splined shaft however didn't seem to seat itself sufficiently in the gear case housing. Thought this might be a problem that might be taken care of during the torquing the shaft nut to the required 55#. The shaft nut hole aligned, however the machined collar around the base of the prop still did not insert sufficiently enough into the gear housing, in fact there was an 1/8" gap all the way around. I could see that the vent holes with this additional gap wasn't going to end well. A call to the vendor was in order and after assuring him that all that he instructed me to do was done a refund was offered. I asked rather than a refund could he provide me with a Stainless Prop that was prefitted with a hub that would be appropriate for my set up, He did just that. I shipped the prop back and expected it would be another week after he received it before I got my replacement, but I was very surprised when the UPS truck brought my replacement at the same time FED Ex sent me notification that my return was receipted for. GREAT Vendor. My Solas New Saturn 13 1/2"x 15 R was installed immediately with no issues or problems. The fact the prop is 1/4" larger in diameter creates no problem that I could see and wasn't going to require a modified trim anode. The vendor recommended the lesser PITCH due to switching from aluminum to SS. There are no vents in the Solas New Saturn and the RAKE is slight and a very mild CUP on a broader design blade surface. Trial: The SOLAS New Saturn, Shifting at idle 800 rpm, smooth, no clunk fwd and reverse. Rapid acceleration WOT (HoleShot) immediate response in rpm and on plane within a couple of boat lengths. No cavitation. Boat achieved 5500 rpm with no trim and engine tilt pin in second hole from the lowest setting. At 5500 rpm on plane trimmed engine up to maximum allowable 5600 rpm. Straight and level on plane relatively calm surface GPS speed 35 mph. Moderate 180 degree turns @ 5600 no cavitation. In all, satisfied with Blade performance, and dealers long distance assistance in making it happen

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
nice review of the Solas- how did the speed compare to you old 17p AL ?

X5oh

Cadet
Really didn't gain any upper end with the stainless. However I contribute that to the 2" reduction in pitch. To me the breaking even on the speed wasn't a disappointment. The control in the turns without a blowout was a great plus, with the OEM Aluminum had to be trimmed down in the turns to keep it from cavitating. I'm also happy that the WOT maxed out only 100rpm shy of my max without trimming. A couple of bumps on the trim easily puts me on my max and doesn't raise the bow uncomfortably. The price was also a plus, very affordable. Too early to tell yet if fuel efficiency will improve.