help removing 9.9 Mercury Force plastic prop / tangled in downrigger cable

NicholasP

Seaman
So I ended up with downrigger cable wrapped up in the prop and i'm trying to untangle the cable / remove the propf...I took off the tip to the prop, but I can't seem to get the actual prop off. At this point I've just been pulling on it, with no luck...am I missing something?

Attachments

• photo207492.jpg
    photo207492.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 0

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
It looks badly corroded is this in salt waster?
speaking generically, I believe there may be a pin in the the hole of the top of the hub.
You may have to soak it with PB Blaster or WD40.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, you are missing something! Those are thrust pin props. In the hub, under the prop cone is, for lack of a better word, a shear pin. When line gets wrapped behind the prop it forces it forward against the thrust pin, locking it in place. Take a punch or big nail and a hammer and drive out the pin. Then the prop should simply slide off the shaft.

I do see a good bit of corrosion but those hubs were usually a plastic compound, not bronze. If it still does not move after removing the pin then take two large screwdrivers behind it and force it off. Lubricate with grease before installing it to prevent future sticking on the shaft. Remove the prop as part of the winterizing schedule to re-grease the shaft.

Last edited:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Yes, you need to replace it when you put the prop back on. It does not necessarily need to be new though. And you are not at the mercy of the dealer charging you an arm and leg for a simple pin. You can use a piece of 3/16 stainless rod. Without it the prop will slide backwards and hit the lower unit casting. since it is a plastic prop, it will wear until the splines jam onto the shaft.

NicholasP

Seaman
No Title

Just to clarify, I need to be trying to remove the shear pin by hitting where I've marked in this photo? I tried for like 20 min at that spot and nothing is happening...If this is indeed the right spot, then I'll see if bracing the prop area so there is zero movement and using some WD40 might help...

Attachments

• photo207534.jpg
    photo207534.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 0

NicholasP

Seaman
Also, it's not like the prop won't spin...In neutral it spins freely, and in gear I can manually turn it...

fishrdan

Admiral
Yes, that pin needs to be removed. With all the rust present, the pin may be stuck, soak in PB Blaster as SS mentioned.

SS is also correct that, that's a bunch of rust in that area, Stainless steel prop shaft, plastic prop and cap, something has to be steel in there (it shouldn't be).

I would be careful hammering on the pin as you don't want to bend the prop shaft, I'd place something under the prop's collar, so the force is being transferred to the prop collar and not the shaft. Also, use a flat face punch the same diameter as the pin, so the end of the pin doesn't mushroom.

Be careful not to mess up that plastic prop, replacements cost $100.

NicholasP

Seaman
Ok, just wanted to make sure. I had seen some other videos of shear pins on youtube and they were on the other side of the prop, so I wanted to check...

NicholasP

Seaman
resolution: the shear pin was mushroomed on the side you can see in the pic (the end that was in the middle of the spline). I was able to bang it out (supporting the prop collar helped a lot). The prop was stuck on there pretty good (no marine grease there), but I was able to pry it off with screwdrivers and grease up the spine. This issue is resolved, though the motor has a few other issues and I'll definitely be posting those...

Thanks for your all your help!