180SSE prop

vipertblck

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've got an 01' chaparral 180SSE with a 3.0 and aftermarket SEI outdrive I'm getting ready to sell. The prop on it is in horrible shape and I want to replace it with a new one. Had a marina tell me to put a 4 blade 19 pitch on it; does that seem right? It's got like a 13 on it now, big 15" 3 blade, it's SLOW. I was told with that 19 4 blade it'll get closer to around 40.

Any suggestions or advice?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
If the motor is healthy a 19" 4 bld. is a reasonable pick.Should have a strong hole shot. stay on plane better at reduced throttle.
At 4800- with a 2.00 ratio and 13% slip I get about 37 mph.

vipertblck

Petty Officer 1st Class
Motor is brand new; place that did it suggested this 4 blade 19. Maybe have 2 or 3 hours on engine since installed.

jkust

Rear Admiral
If it were me, I would put a three blade on it thus saving a few bucks over the 4 blade since you are selling anyway. All things being equal, you would get a bit more top speed out of a three blade but it isn't broken in yet anyway so that argument might be moot for the time being. I feel like there's more potential buyers that might focus on top speed over hole shot until they discover you rarely go wot and value hole shot after you get some experience with an entry level boat after a few years of ownership.