Buying a new prop

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Howdy,

Well.....I had to look to see if I was in the prop forum. You might post this in the prop forum since YOU"RE ASKING ABOUT A PROP!!!@!!:D

Maybe a MOD will move it for you!

Before you change anything (other than replacing exactly what you have) you need to know your speed (GPS) and RPM (with a known tach)

At Wide open Throttle (WOT) your engine should be turning somewhere near the upper RPM of the Mfr recommended WOT RPM.

Most new props have removeable hubs. So you might have to also buy the correct hub for the prop you want to use if the new prop doesn't have one already.

Regards,

Rick

samt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A big part of my question is the OMC specific instalation. My current prop is so beat up i dont think i can accurately verify speed and rpm.

samt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Current prop is a beat up Michigan 14.5 17. Stainless. Boat is a work in progress, so i need to get a prop in good condition on it so i can go from there.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
you need a thrust washer and spacer unless you think the ones you have will fit. But it wouldn't hurt to get them anyhow to have a spare set onboard.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
The Solas prop I bought from Iboats had a thrust washer and spacer included. I didn't know it and bought the installation kit (thrust washer, spacer, prop nut and lock washer) extra. It turned out to be an unnecessary purchase of $40, as I was able to re-use parts that aren't prop-specific (locking washer and nut) and the other stuff came with the prop.