sea ray 197 prop question

old islander

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello prop guru's
I just picked up a sea ray 197, 1978 model year 190hp merc 898 305 chevy V8. The boat came with an old well used and beat up stainless prop. I cant find any markings on it as to manufacturer or pitch. My question is, what prop would have come on this boat new as far as pitch goes? also, I intend to use this boat for trolling for salmon on lake Michigan so it will spend most of it's remaining life going 2.5MPH. I'm not looking for a ski or water sports prop. I'm looking for something that can get me 40MPH at 4000RPM. Any suggestions as to what pitch/diameter I should be looking for? I would like to go back to the aluminum prop for cost reasons. Is stainless a better bang for the buck?

Confused in Milwaukee

Bifflefan

Commander
For what you want, an aluminum prop is the ticket. No need for SS.
I would say a 17p should do you fine. You could go with a 19p also, but when you add trolling I think the 17p will be your best all around. A 16p 4 blade is good in my opinion as I think they add better slow speed handling on older boats, at least it did on mine and I could still do 40ish. It also trolled down very slow, slower than my GPS would register with any accuracy.

old islander

Petty Officer 1st Class
I like the 16p idea baffle fan, but what diameter would I use with the 16p 4 blade?

jestor68

Commander
Rather than guess:

A 1.5 gear ratio turning at 4000 engine rpm assuming a 10% slip at an actual 40 mph works out to a 17 pitch. But that doesn't mean your motor will do that, given it's age.

A 14.5 or 15 diameter would be appropriate.

4000 rpm as a target is a little low, since the rpm range is likely 4200-4600.

Regardless, a test run must be made with something in order to establish a base line.

The Mercury prop selector says that a 15 X 17 3 blade would be a good place to start.

Bear in mind that the selector assumes a new motor developing like new power.

Last edited: