Oh yeah, raise the outdrive BEFORE pulling the boat out of the water.

Maiden voyage went wll in our 1989 Sea Ray with the 3.0 mercruiser Alpha One. Purchased in June, been working on it all summer and today was the day.

When pulling the boat out, that loud scraping noise let me know that I forgot to raise the outdrive. The world is now minus one prop.

wallychaser

Seaman Apprentice
Ouch... could have been worse, bet you don't do that again, (I did it "once" too...) don't feel bad... Today on the free way I was behind a truck pulling a 5th wheel camper and a small boat, the motor on the boat was in the down position, that boat was bouncing hard, I'm sure a good bump and the motor would hit the pavement, as I passed it, I noticed the skag was gone,,, I'm sure the prop will be gone by the time he gets to where he was going, maybe even more. I could not help him as he turned right while I kept straight, poor guy... The lessons that cost U$$$ are seldom repeated,,, you should be good now,,,

dawgmatix

Recruit
This is why I have to replace the gimble ring on my recently purchased boat. The guy who owned it befores' father forgot the trailer button that raises the outdrive almost to 45 degrees and he broke it pulling the boat out....sigh. lol

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
mine clears even when down.

how did you kill the prop should' the skeg have hit first - did you grind off that much skeg?

I noticed the scraping right away. I only dragged it about 5 feet, I think, but that was enough to scrape the skeg a bit. The prop lost about 1/4" chunks on two fins. I am tempted to run it, but I know better.

ihearth2o

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If it's SS, a good prop shop should be able to fix that. If aluminum, ya replace it. But you're right, don't run it.

No Title

What do you think?

Attachments

• photo206431.jpg
    photo206431.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo206432.jpg
    photo206432.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo206433.jpg
    photo206433.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo206434.jpg
    photo206434.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo206435.jpg
    photo206435.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo206436.jpg
    photo206436.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 0

oldjeep

Admiral
Repairable, but I don't see any way that could have happened by forgetting to raise the drive unless you have no skeg at all.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
I was thinking the same thing, jeep. Can't see the skeg in the pics. Prop looks to be aluminum? You might consider getting a replacement prop, getting the existing prop repaired, and have it as a backup

ihearth2o

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can't tell if it's aluminum or ss but if it's aluminum, would probably not cost much more to replace. If it's ss, definitely have a prop shop look at it. They may have to shave down all the fins though to balance it out so you might get a smaller diameter prop in the end.

Thanks, all. Yes, it's an OEM aluminum prop. The skeg *was* in perfect condition, but now is minus about 1/8". I thought it should protect the prop, also, but maybe the ramp and water conditions were perfect to allow the prop to drag, or maybe stuff just happens.

I plan on finding a used prop locally or buying a new one here on Iboats.

*Went with a new 4-blade prop I found locally* Will save the damaged prop for a spare.

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral
Well, don't throw that prop away. It is a $40 repair away from being perfect again