Force 125 Thrust Washer

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
I picked up a turning point prop that uses a hub kit. Got a new TP hub kit 501 (mercury) - The thrust washer taper is different than my current thrust washer. I seems to fit ok but when I tighten it kinda gets stuck to the prop shaft b/c it's not tappered the same. Prop fits good and no slop.

any issues running it this way or should I use my old thrust washer - if I use it I think i need to sand the top of the washer down about 1/16 so it sits flush on the back of the prop. Right now it hits the plastic insert and not fully hitting the prop metal.

This hub kit washer looks the same as the one I saw on the michigan kits.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I have a new TP w/hub kit for my Johnson. I use the new hardware w/o any alterations. Not sure that helps you any tho...... Trying to figure out the plastic insert. Is that part of the prop? Does it need to be removed? Unless you're talking about the prop nut washer. The only plastic mine has is the hub itself.... Make sure you seat the hub all the way down by taping it in the prop.

I'm assuming this is your hub kit? http://www.iboats.com/Turning-Point-...tInfoContainer

If you read the reviews there was an issue with a Force. Although, it was different than yours.....

Last edited:

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
by plastic insert i mean the hub. I took the time to file down a spare thrust washer - it took me about 1 hour but I think it will be better b/c the tapper is correct - I don't really know how much force will hit that washer but I'm guessing a lot and I wanted it to ride on the metal and not the hub. I guess I sill wonder if other have used the mercury thrust washer instead with good results.

jestor68

Commander
Where did you find a TP prop listed for your 1985 Force 125 motor?

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
Yes, they don't make a prop specifically for the Force 125 - but it generally fits fine with a hub kit - also removing platic ring - my issue was with the thrust washer not fitting to the tapper - i think it would have been fine but I did have a spare washer that is for my engine so I filed it down - see pics and end result of prop on - i used it the other day and the prop worked well - but what a drop in mid-range rpm - on my normal 15p non cupped prop i would ski at 28 mph @ 4500 - this 15p TP prop only needed 3800 to hit the same 28 mph. Top rpm was 5100 (37 mph) instead of 5600 (36 mph) - so not as dramatic a drop there. Slip number were very weird - i had to plug in a 17p just to get some slip numbers that even made sense. Even then they are very low. This is probably not my ski prop but sure is efficient for cruise.

image_206797.jpg IMG_2596 - Copy.JPG IMG_2597 - Copy.JPG

WIMUSKY

Staff member
That sounds about right, especially the WOT rpms. You have twice the hp as I have, but I lost 500 at top end too. According to walleyehed, a 15p TP will have about the same numbers as a 17p al. I had a 17p al and went to a vented 17p TP hoping to gain a little better holeshot. It was a dog. After finding out I was basically putting a 19p al on it, it all made sense. Still haven't tried the 15p that I exchanged for the 17.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Beyond my cognizance but If the tapered thrust washer that you have, with the taper mounted in the direction that supports the prop shaft taper, allows you to torque your prop nut to 55 ft-lbs and the prop spins freely without contacting any other part of the lower unit then you are where you want to be. There will be a slight amount of detent movement available in pushing on the prop when installed, but the prop and shaft move together as a unit. This movement is a result of the overrun clutch and is normal. The overrun clutch is used when decelerating where the engine is turning slower than it was when driving the prop at the then current speed.

Mark

Last edited: