Want a better hole shot

insuranceman

Recruit
I have a 2002 Monterey 228 ss. The boat weighs 3700 lbs, It currently has a 14.25 with 21 pitch aluminum prop. The boat has a 5.7 Volvo GI with 280hp with SX drive says the ratio is 1.43. I had the boat out this weekend and I am only getting about 4300 rpms. I live in Kansas altitude of 2700ft. I got the boat up to 50 mph with my wife and two young children in the boat and half a tank of fuel. It gets on plane about 15mph. The reason I am looking to get on plane and hold plane quicker is my girls are 2 and 5 and I want to pull them very slow on the tube. I am looking at maybe a 19 pitch 4 or 5 blade stainless prop any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
You answered your own ? 4 blade 19p. Check out Solas props.. the Amita has hub pressed in at factory. Rubex has hub u put in..

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
you are not in the right RPM range - you need a 19 at least to get you into the bottom of the range. You might try a 18 4 blade to get you more to the top. Chances are with the 18p you will loose about 5 mph

insuranceman

Recruit
Is there a big difference between a four and five blade in terms of performance?
Thanks for your responses I will look at an 18 pitch also.
What is everyone's favorite 4 blade prop?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Is there a big difference between a four and five blade in terms of performance?
Thanks for your responses I will look at an 18 pitch also.
What is everyone's favorite 4 blade prop?

Howdy,

You're currently "over-propped"

If you want better hole-shot, and you're currently only getting 4300 at WOT loaded where you normally run the boat AND you're going to continue running at 2700' MSL,

You need to use a lower pitched prop.

Select a prop that will give you an RPM at or near the MAX of the recommended RPM range. (5000RPM?

In general, MORE blades in the water means better hole-shot and slightly lower top speed. (by a few knots or so)

The BEST holeshot performance however, for your boat will be by changing your lower unit to the correct DPS (Duo-prop) drive.

Several years ago, I removed a 340hp 7.5L King Cobra (3blade SS) from my 21' Four Winns and replaced it with a 330HP 7.4L Mercruiser Bravo III (dual contra-rotating 3-blade SS props)

The difference in speed was only a few mph. The difference in hole-shot was nothing short of spectacular!

At your hp, you won't notice a huge difference between a 4 and 5 blade prop (except $$$) but the hole shot will be better with the 4-blade and even better with a 3-blade when you prop it for 4800-5000RPM (if that's your recommended max)

dazk14

Ensign
Since the boat is a 2002, I'm going to presume you're not independently wealthy and are looking toward a "value" oriented improvement - correct me if I'm wrong.

We run into this alot and I'm glad you understand the danger of speed. You also need a very stable tube/towable. Also be aware of risk at idle/takeoff and it submarines, flips forward.

You've got 3 different issues here and some points have been spoken about by other forum members and there will be additional input from from some of the good prop guys here.

1- hole shot. Not very important for pulling a stable tube. Fixing #3 below will add more than enough for tubing.

2- low planing speed. Important for younger kids if you want to do groups and don't want the boat plowing, throwing a monster wake all day and of course using tons of fuel. 15 mph is actually a good low planing speed and leads me to believe you have trim tabs - correct? "Doel-fin"?

Tabs. The bigger the better for slow speeds and the planes alone can be replaced for added performance. Bennett are easiest to work with and they usually have scratch and dents for reasonable. adding wings helps if not already fitted.

Doel-fin, etc.. These are great for lower planing speeds and are cheap. Generally a necessary evil for little kids and tubes.

As you already know a 4 blade prop will be stern lifting(lower planing speed) and accelerate quicker(read hole-shot) with minimal top speed loss and lots of reasonable price options.
A 5 blade is not common, very pricey, and somewhat of a one trick pony with acceleration being it's primary advantage in the sizes that you are looking at.
A great prop to pull up 3 slalom skiers.

3- Your motor is lugging at all speeds, since your at 4300wot and the spec is 4600-5000.

By fixing #3 and keeping in mind 1&2, this is fairly straightforward and as I mentioned earlier and there are other experienced prop guys here. Keep in mind, switching # of blades, materials, specific prop models is never an exact science.

A SS 18" 4 blade is certainly a safe option, but pricey. When I get to the shop, I'll look up the various options. In this case, diameter has to be also considered, since you are somewhat on the lower end of the diameter "series".

Please respond back regarding your tab and "foil" status.

Last edited:

insuranceman

Recruit
I am leaning towards a stainless steel 4 blade in 18 or 19 pitch. As far as price range I am willing to spend in the 500 range for a prop. I currently do not have trim tabs but would consider them if they are a big help. I am very unfamiliar with trim tabs as I have never had them before.