When to replace?

bonelessi

Seaman Apprentice
So I hit a rock today while I was boating. It's not bad but you can tell where it was clipped. It has a few dings on the other blades too. When is it time to replace a prop? How bad can they get before they start doing other damage?

Curious

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
pics would probably help.

I'm not the expert here by any mean, but if just edges and 'clean' clips I file down to sort of 'balance' it out. I've never had one damaged bad enough I felt I needed to replace but to me it would have to be significant warping on a whole blade or enough filing down to throw off balance

Dodge Bass

Cadet
If you start noticing lack of power or vibration in your prop, its probably time to change it but like redneck said I usually just grind it smooth with the little nicks

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
Last year I "drifted" into some rocks on the St Lawrence River,, bent one blade a bit. Hammered it back in shape with about 4 hits... runs fine.. chips? I would not worry about....it takes a lot of years for a prop to get thin by use....I agree with all others here.....if it's not broke, dont fix it..

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
So I hit a rock today while I was boating. It's not bad but you can tell where it was clipped. It has a few dings on the other blades too. When is it time to replace a prop? How bad can they get before they start doing other damage?
Get it repaired if any material was removed from the blade. Do not want to run an imbalanced prop.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
A pic of the prop would speak volumes...........