Counter clockwise for Mercruiser?

GMorehouse

Recruit
I want to get a new spare prop, but don't want to take the boat out of the water to check the numbers on the existing prop. It's a 2012 Monterey 18.4' bowrider with a 3.0 TKS 150 hp I/O sterndrive. Unfortunately, my owner's manual is useless in this regard and the page for specs of the boat I purchased has no relevant info. The owner is expected to fill in all the details!

I read on another thread that Mercruiser props are all left hand (counter clockwise), which surprised me. Can anyone advise me on the accuracy of that statement and perhaps suggest the correct prop for my application? Just general use, a bit of tubing with the grandchildren; no water skiing or racing. My calculations indicate 21 pitch, 14.25" diameter, LH, but feel free to correct me. :)

Thanks in advance for any help.

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer
All mercruiser props are NOT all left hand rotation..............Anything other than actually checking the prop is just a guess at what dia. and pitch it is
trim the drive all the way up and take a swim, if you are lucky you will have a prop with the pro info onthe outside of the hub......mine does but it's a quick silver.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
As far as I know all Mercruisers are standard clockwise rotation.Counter clockwise is the exception usually found in twin installations.
Volvo I/Os have a simple adjustment to run either way.

jestor68

Commander
You can always call Monterey and ask if they've ever put a left hand counter rotating Alpha I drive on one of their 18 ft bow riders.

I'm certain that it wouldn't be the norm, but perhaps there was one extra sitting around and they just stuck it on there so as not to go to waste.

A 21 pitch sounds about normal for that boat/motor combination.

A good reason to run a left hand rotating single prop is where you turn left all the time. A boat turns better in the direction of prop rotation.

Last edited:

GMorehouse

Recruit
GM pull boat out of water or take a swim. for best results.

I agree, but I tried the swim route, but three of us couldn't find any numbers. It seems stupid to have to pull the boat out of the water to find something so basic.

I'll try to get in touch with Monterey, but they certainly don't make it easy to get in touch, unless you want to buy a new boat.

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer
Contacting Monterey will only be 100% reliable info IF you are the original owner of the boat.... or happen to know the original owner........ many props have been removed/replaced in the water........ just do it in as shallow water as you can........ tilt outdrive up get prop off... the info will be on the backside of the hub.

It's really not that hard, and you will know with certainty what pitch you have.