prop confused ???

edthearcher

Petty Officer 2nd Class
help me understand props. going on a 1986 alpha 1 drive with a rebuilt 5.7 engine both my props have what i will call rubber inserts in them with the brass bushing going down the center, looking on craigs list i find several props they say go on an alpha 1 drive, bot the pictures show a splined prop. today there was a ss prop claims goes on a alpha 1 drive # 48-73980 is the number on the prop. . so bottom line if looking for a used prop for the above out drive what in the heck do i look for. thanks for any help

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens
The right shaft size ,spline number and if you get the plastic hub get the correct kit for Alpha 1 bushing ,washer and insert spline .

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Prop pictures here at iboats are facsimiles and have no real indication of the actual prop.
The description should be accurate. If you look up your motor/drive you will find dozens of props.
Probably 90% of these props will have a "rubber" sleeve with the "hub" pressed into the prop.
The purpose of this is to cushion the drive if the prop contacts something hard.
Diameter I believe up to 16" are available. And if listed for Alpha 1fits all alpha 1 drives
Some props have a removable hub that makes a prop a little more versatile.
If the prop is listed for say a Merc and has a removable hub,if the prop is also compatible with a Evinrude you can buy a hub
for that line of props to fit an Evinrude.
If it is a Merc prop it should have the Merc number beginning with 48 and usually ending with the pitch.
The other numbers indicate blades,material; etc You can find good buys on craigs and ebay Ebay does have sellers history
I do like to ask a couple of questions to see about communications and some inkling of the seller.
If I was buying a prop today I would use iboats and get an aluminum Solas Amita or Rubex.Rubex is the same prop with a removable hub.
Aluminum is about 1/3 the cost of a stainless prop.A carefully selected al prop can be completive with a ss prop.
Your present prop size,lightly loaded wot rpm and gps speed will help us help you decide.
Also need boat size and type.

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens
Yes always open the box and pull the prop out and check the numbers as I ended up with Solas right pitch hub and blades that a guys wife had in original mercury box as that one was on his boat , great that is was new though and peaked my curiosity as he must have preferred the mercury .