1984 Honda B100S -Propeller slips at med to high speed

Dennis G

Petty Officer 3rd Class
3 blade prop doesn't look like it has a rubber hub but not sure. Any ideas? I hit one too many oyster beds in south Texas

Dennis G

Petty Officer 3rd Class
To be more clear, Engine revs up at medium speed without prop spinning. Hopefully, there is a hub in this prop that's shot. I was told there wasn't but it was someone I met at the ramp so don't know his tech qualifications. Was also told that motor has centrifical clutch. What's it all mean??????

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Draw a water proof line across the hub and body a take a test run.If the line is broken you have a spun hub.

jestor68

Commander
It sounds as if the hub (yes there is one) has spun.

Just replace with the same size Solas/Honda prop. Yeah; they're made by Solas.

And, no; there is no centrifical clutch.

Last edited:

Dennis G

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks to you, both, for replies. I did the mark thing and ran it hard in a tank and it ran fine w/ no slippage. I checked marks afterwards and they did not move. Maybe it was cavitation at the time it happened. I'll take it out or sea trials in the near future and see it it happens again. (It's the kicker for my 18'). If it happens again, I'll replace the prop Thanks, again. Dennis G

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
The slot across the inner hub is to fit over a drive pin (we called them shear pins because that's all they did and at the worst possible times) rather than the common splined shaft used on most engines today. Back in the day, the props that used a drive pin still had rubber slip hubs. You can't tell it is rubber and slips by looking at it from the outside, like in the pic. Besides slipping on impact, the second function of the rubber was to cushion the impact of shifting into gear.

Not sure running in the tank will tell you what you want to know about slipping. Get it out and run it and then check the line.

Mark

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Yep, need to run prop under load at wot at sea, useless running on a tank.....

Happy Boating